New Building Fund
The New Library Fund will support the needs of researchers and innovation in scholarship while also providing enhanced space for study and collaboration. Named spaces are available at every giving level. We gratefully accept unrestricted gifts and pledges in any amount and also invite you to consider our Seat-a-Student option.
The $8-million investment in the New Library Fund supports areas of need that exceed the public funding for the building:
- $5 million for enhanced-technology costs covering areas such as the Innovative Media Studio, the media-rich Auditorium/Public Event Space and the Display Wall (Vitrine).
- $3 million for furnishings and finishing providing harmony of spaces between the existing building and the new spaces.
Enhanced Technology and Furnishings
- The glass-fronted, towering Entrance will face Shafer Court. A dramatic and unique feature will be a large-scale (19 feet by 23 feet wide) Display Wall (Vitrine). VCU's Vitrine is inspired by the common definition of the word: a glass display case or cabinet for works of art and curios. This public Vitrine will be seen clearly day or night from as far away as Broad Street and Monroe Park as people approach campus center via Shafer-Linden-Cathedral walkways.
- The 300-seat media-rich Auditorium/Public Event Space will serve the some 8,000+ Central Virginians who attend our events every year.
- The new Innovative Media Studio will become the university's center for the creative communication of ideas and experimentation in the digital environment. The Studio will support media-enabled storytelling, scholarship, exploration and visualization of data and learning for all disciplines and at all levels across the VCU community. This welcoming space will offer exciting creation suites, expert instruction and services designed for making multimedia magic. Within those workspaces, the technical tools will be continually updated.
- Of the 156,000 new or redesigned square feet, 90 percent will be dedicated to space for students and faculty. Every decision about the building plan puts students and faculty users first. Some 1,500 seats will be added.
To learn more about these giving opportunities, please contact:
Kelly J. Gotschalk
Director of Development and Major Gifts
firstname.lastname@example.org (804) 827-1163
Please note: All checks should be made payable to "VCU Foundation" with the particular fund (ex. "Campaign for VCU Libraries," "Friends of VCU Libraries," etc.) written on the memo line.