Nita L. Bryant
Behavioral and Social Sciences Research Librarian
Research and Learning, Academic Outreach
James Branch Cabell Library, Room 111-A
- Ph.D. Sociology, University of Virginia, 1998
- M.S. Sociology, VCU, 1993
- B.S. Sociology and Anthropology, VCU, 1991
Previous Professional Experience
- Assistant Professor, Sociology, VCU, 2000-2005
- Graduate Director, Sociology, VCU, 2000-2003
- Affiliate Faculty, School of Education Associates, VCU, 1996-2008
- Instructor, Department of Sociology, VCU, 1993-2000
- Library Research Methods for Psychology, Sociology, School of Social Work
- Advanced Research Workshop for RAs in Social Work and Psychology
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellows: Research in Addictions
- Open Access Module, HON 399
- PsycINFO Workshops
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Department of Sociology:
- Social Problems, SOCY 302
- Urban Poverty, AAS 391
- Urban Sociology, SOCY 327
- Theories of Social Change (WI), SOCY 402
- Sociology of Education, SOCY 450
- Contemporary Sociological Theory, SOCY 502
- Studies in Community Research Practicum, SOCY 602
- Theories of Social and Institutional Change, SOCY 650
- Bryant, N. (Forthcoming). Navigating access to addictions literature: The Hubert H. Humphrey fellowship experience. In N. el-Guebaly et al. (Eds.), Textbook of Addiction Treatment: International Perspectives. Section XII - Education & Training. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- Bryant, N. (2014). Developing international information competency standards for the addictions field. Poster presentation at National Institute of Drug Abuse International Forum, San Juan, PR.
- Bryant, N. (2013). Open access, grey literature and google: Building a bridge from research to practice. Presented at the Substance Abuse Librarians and Information Specialists' 35th Annual Conference, Berkeley, CA.
- Bryant, N. & Brady K. (2012). An open access research guide to drug and alcohol studies: Supporting information needs in developing nations. Guest speaker and poster presentation at the National Institute of Drug Abuse International Forum, Palm Springs, CA.
- Brady, K. & Bryant, N. (2012). Collaborating across campuses and continents: Welcome to the future! Presented at the 40th Annual LOEX Conference, Columbus, OH.
- Quest Global Impact Award 2014. VCU Global Education Office. "Building a Virtual Global Classroom for Information Literacy" with John Cyrus, Co-PI.
Selected University Service
- Department of Education Leadership, Dissertation Committee, 2007-2014
- Thesis Director, VCU Master of Interdisciplinary Studies, 2009
Selected Library Service
- Search Committee, Director of Scholarly Communications and Copyright
- VCU Libraries LibGuides Review Group
- Southern Sociological Society
- Substance Abuse Librarians and Information Specialists
Collection Management Subject Areas
- Cabell reference collection: social and behavioral sciences
- Critical information literacy; information competencies; open access; scholarly communication