Digital Collections Systems Librarian (Assistant Professor)
Information Management and Processing, Digital Technologies department
James Branch Cabell Library , Room 234-C
- M.L.S. Library Science, The Catholic University of America, 1985
- M.A. English and English Education, VCU, 1982
- B.A. English, College of William and Mary, 1977
Previous Professional Experience
- Systems Librarian, Library of Virginia, 2002-2006
- Project Coordinator, Digital Library Program, Library of Virginia, 1996-2002
- Head, Copy-Based Cataloging, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988-1996
- Cataloging Specialist, The Computer Company, 1985-1988
- Guest lecturer, Information Systems in Libraries and Information Centers, CLSC 555, The Catholic University of America
- Byrd, S. (2010). Digitization projects III: VCU Libraries digital collections and use of CONTENTdm. Presented at Richmond Academic Library Consortium Technical Services Roundtable.
- Byrd, S. (2009). Presentation on CONTENTdm and VCU digitization activities at RALC Technical Services Roundtable.
- Byrd, S. (2007). ETD@VCU: Transforming graduate education and research. Presented at Technology Days 2007, Richmond, VA.
- Byrd, S. (2012). Richmond architectural surveys: Choices in digitization. Virginia Libraries, 58(1): 23-25.
- Ghaphery, J., Byrd, S., Teague-Rector, S. (2008). Kinda just like Google: Presence and variety of search options on library homepages. Against the Grain.
Selected University Service
- ETD Task Force
- Faculty Senate Student Affairs Committee, Chair, 2007-2011
Selected VCU Libraries Service
- Promotion Guidelines Task Force
- Digital Preservation Committee, Chair, 2011-2013