Curator, Innovative Media Studio, VCUQatar
VCUQatar Library, Room 224
- Ph.D. candidate, Centre for Advanced Inquiry in Integrative Arts (CAiiA-HUB), The Planetary Collegium, University of Plymouth, in progress
- M.F.A. Interdisciplinary Arts and Media, Columbia College, 2007
- B.A. Photography and Film, Sculpture and Extended Media, VCU, 2004
Previous Professional Experience
- Manager, Visual Media Center, Art and Design Department, Columbia College, 2008-2010
- Adjunct Faculty, Visual Communication Department, International Academy of Design and Technology, 2008-2010
- Technician/Web Designer, Art and Design Department, Columbia College, 2007-2008
- Teaching Assistant, Television Department, Columbia College, 2005-2007
- Teaching Assistant, Interactive Arts and Media Department, Columbia College, 2005
- Studio in Visual Communications, DESI 512
- Advanced Topics in Visual Communication, DESI 591
- Special Topics in Visual Communication, GDES 491
- Video for Artists, KINE 291
- Topics in Contemporary New Media, KINE 591
- Independent Study in Physical Computing, PAPR 392c
- Columbia College Chicago
- Photographic Communication (adjunct, extended substitute)
- International Academy of Design and Technology, Chicago
- Streaming Media Development, VC 440
- Digital Production I, VC 420
- Digital Video Editing II, VC 390
- Web Design II, VC 345
- Digital Video I, VC 220
- Derr, D. (2013). International collaborative arts: Conversations on practice, research and education. Session chair at College Art Association, New York.
- Derr, D. (2013). Vjing the Narrative. Workshop leader at Tasmeem Bi-Annual Design Conference, Doha, Qatar.
- Derr, D. (2012). Morphological mapping of the Arab spring through an ecological lens. Presented at Mutamorphosis II: Tribute to Uncertainty, CIANT International Center for Art and New Technology, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Derr, D. (2012). Fictionalizing the figuration: In consideration of the Arab spring's narrative matrix. Presented at Technoetic Telos: Art, Myth and Media, Ionian Center for Arts and Culture, Kefelonia, Greece.
- Derr, D. (2011). Media literacy and design pedagogy. Presented at the 5th International Conference on Design Principles and Practices, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy.
- Derr, D. (2010). Operational dialogues. Presented at International Conference on the Image, University of California-Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA.
- Derr, D. (2010). Media literacy in the art and design curriculum. Presented at the International Perspectives in Art and Design Pedagogies, Leeds College of Art, Leeds, United Kingdom.
- Derr, D. (2008). Interpolating the white tower: Are place and material valid in a contemporary art education? Panelist at Mid-America College Art Association Conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Derr, D. (2008). The art of a practice. Panelist at Southeastern Regional College Art Association Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Curated by Campbell, R. and Lynn, W. (2008). Decoy. LoBot Gallery, Oakland, CA.
- Curated by Robinson, M.M. (2007). Nab Lab: Video 1. Nab Gallery, Chicago, IL.
- (2007). All Over the Place #3, Screening, Brooklyn, NY.
- (2007). The Marriage, Center for Book and Paper Arts, Chicago, IL.
- Curated by Rattemeyer, C. (2006). The Mind/Body Problem, Artists Space, New York, New York.
- (2006). The Projection Gallery, Liverpool, United Kingdom.
- (2006). Cinema-scope: PAM, Scope Hamptons, New York, NY.
- (2006). Cinema-scope: PAM, Scope London, United Kingdom.
- (2006). Working Frameworks, C33 Gallery, Chicago, IL.
- (2006). Working Frameworks, Skylab Gallery, Columbus, OH.
- (2006). Back Room Screening, solo screening, ADA Gallery, Richmond, VA.
- Derr, D. (forthcoming). Morphological mapping of the Arab spring through an ecological lens. Technoetic Arts: Journal of Speculative Research.
- Derr, D. (2012). Fictionalizing the figuration: In consideration for the Arab spring's narrative matrix. Technoetic Arts: A Journal of Speculative Research, (10)1, 39-45.
Selected VCUQatar Service
- MFA Thesis Review Committee
- College Art Association
- New Media Caucus
- International Digital and Media Arts Association