Head, Information Services
Research and Learning, Information Services
James Branch Cabell Library, Room 121-M
- M.L.I.S. Library and Information Science, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2008
- B.A. Comparative Literature (French and English) and English Literature, VCU, 1985
Previous Professional Experience
- Freelance Fact-Checker, Encyclopedia Virginia, Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, 2007-2009
- Head, Circulation and Information Services, VCU Libraries, 2007-2008
- Library Specialist/Web Applications Team Member, VCU Libraries, 1999-2007
- Work/Life Resources Specialist, VCU Human Resources, 1992-1999
- Doherty, T., Carmack, N., Hensley, E. (2013). VALLA: What welearned from the Virginia Leadership Academy. Presented at Virginia Library Association Annual Conference, Williamsburg, VA.
- Doherty, T. & Peacemaker, B. (2013). 24 hour in-house text service: How our secret ingredients led to success. Presented at panel session sponsored by LLAMA-SASS, "Future and Emerging Access Service Trends," ALA Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Doherty, T., Hodge, M., Spoor, N., Lammers, D. (2012). How to succeed in an entry-level librarian interview: Research and experience-based tips. Presented at webinar sponsored by ALA/LLAMA. [http://www.llama.ala.org/llamaleads/?p=1357]
- Doherty, T. (2012). Goin' mobile: VCU Libraries' mobile study room reservation system. Presented at "Future and Emerging Access Services Trends" panel session, ALA Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA.
- Doherty, T. (2012). Project manager for ALA traveling exhibit, "A Fine Romance: Jewish Songwriters, American Songs 1910-1965," hosted by VCU Libraries.
- Doherty, T. (2011). Letting go of waiver forms when loaning equipment. Poster at VLA Annual Conference, sponsored by ACRL, Portsmouth, VA.
- Doherty, T. & White, E. (2011). Facilitating access to group study rooms at a busy academic library. Poster at VLA Annual Conference, sponsored by ACRL, Portsmouth, VA.
- Doherty, T. (2010). Cool sounds for Aleph Circ transactions. Presented at Richmond Academic Library Consortium "5 Minute Madness" one-day workshop, Richmond, VA.
- Doherty, T. & White, E. (2012). Room reservations at VCU Libraries: How we coped with rapid growth and overwhelming demand for student study space. College & Research Libraries News, 73(3). [http://crln.acrl.org/cgi/content/short/73/3/142]
- Doherty, T. (2012). An academic librarian's "Fine Romance" with programming. Programming Librarian. [http://www.programminglibrarian.org/blog/2012/march-2012/an-academic-librarians-fine-romance.html#.T-JPAvW8g-W]
- Doherty, T. (1983). "Surprise." Rolling Stone, 390: 50. [Poem].
Selected VCU Libraries Service
- Access Services Committee, Chair
- Professional Development Committee, Chair, 2009-2010
- VCU Libraries Staff Association, President, 2007-2008
- American Library Association
- Intellectual Freedom Round Table
- Virginia Library Association
- Intellectual Freedom Committee
- Professional Development Forum, Virginia Library Leadership Academy Coordinator
- Patron access; intellectual freedom; automated access services
- America's Test Kitchen, recipe taster
- County of Henrico Board of Elections: Assistant Precinct Chief (2007-2011)