Laura W. Gariepy
Head, Teaching and Learning
Research and Learning, Teaching and Learning
James Branch Cabell Library, Room 121-F
- Doctoral student, Education: Research and Evaluation, VCU, in progress
- M.S. Library Science, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2009
- B.S. Sociology and Legal Studies, Appalachian State University, 2006
Previous Professional Experience
- Undergraduate Research Librarian, James Branch Cabell Library, VCU, 2009-2012
- Graduate Assistant, R.B. House Undergraduate Library, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2008-2009
- Library Intern, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Library, 2007-2009
- Reference Assistant, Walter Royal Davis Library, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2007-2009
- Best Collection Materials, VCU Libraries Your Compass, The Academic Library Advancement and Development Network annual conference, 2014
- Gariepy, L.W., Hodge, M., Sears, C., Stovall, B. (2012). Got leadership? Panelist at the Virginia library Association Annual Conference, Williamsburg, VA.
- Gariepy, L.W. (2011). Using quick assessment methods to generate meaningful data from one-shot instruction sessions. Presented at Virginia Library Association Annual Conference, Portsmouth, VA.
- Gariepy, L.W. (2011). Classroom assessment techniques in one-shot instruction sessions: Balancing teaching, learning and time. LOEX Encore Presentation, presented online via Elluminate. Selected as one of four presentations originally presented at LOEX Annual Conference, Fort Worth, TX.
- Gariepy, L.W., Prichard, F., Orzolek, B., Coghill, D. (2010). Research writing: The whole in the middle. Presented at Writing Across the Curriculum Conference, Bloomington, IN.
- Gariepy, L.W. (2009). Wikipedia: What is it good for? Presented at Berglund Seminar Series, VCU Honors College.
- Gariepy, L.W. & Lopez, T. (2009). Job searching: The student perspective. Presented at North Carolina Special Library Association's Leveraging Your Career Workshop, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Gariepy, L.W. & Peacemaker, B.P. (In progress). The correlation between amount of library instruction received and undergraduate students' cumulative grade point average after four years since enrollment.
- Gariepy, L.W., Biggio, B.J., Stout, J.A. (In progress). Rubric-based assessment in one-shot library instruction sessions: Measuring student learning in a research and writing course.
- Gariepy, L.W., Mazure, E.S., McDaniel, J.A., White, E.R. (2013). Staff training. In D. Cook, A. Dobbs, R. Sittler (Eds.), LibGuides: Making dynamic web design and management simple for non web-designers (85-100). Chicago: American Library Association.
- Gariepy, L. W. (2012). The environmental protection agency/national institute of environmental health sciences library internship program: An analysis of former interns' careers. Journal of Education for Library Science, 53(1): 20-31.
- Gariepy, L.W. (forthcoming). Classroom assessment techniques in one-shot instruction sessions: Balancing teaching, learning and time. Proceedings from LOEX Conference.
- Westmoreland, L. (2010). Choose your references with care. Footnotes, 39(3).
Selected University Service
- VCU Learning Outcomes Fellows Teaching Initiative for Information Fluency, Facilitator
- Instructional Technologies Advisory Group
- VCU Honor Council
Selected VCU Libraries Service
- Faculty Organization Nominating Committee, Chair
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Instruction Section Management and Leadership Committee
- Beta Phi Mu (International Library and Information Studies Honor Society)
- Virginia Library Association
- American Library Association
- Instruction and user education; research and user services; technology and learning; learning assessment; program evaluation; leadership; library administration and policy