Director of Libraries, VCUQatar (Professor)
VCUQatar Library department
VCUQatar Library, Room 106-O
- M.L.S., University of Southern California-Los Angeles, 1975
- B.A., Johnston College, University of Redlands, 1973
Previous Professional Experience
- Professor, Arts and Humanities Librarian, Weber State University, 2009-2011
- Professor, Supervisor/Coordinator, Learning Enhancement Center, Zayed University, 2007-2009
- Professor, Library Supervisor, Zayed University, 2004-2006
- Professor, Instruction Services Librarian, Weber State University, 1986-2004, 2006-2007
- ALA/USIA Library Fellow, Universiti Utara Malaysia, 1992-1993 (sabbatical)
- Information Literacy Component of UNIV 112
- Internet Navigator
- Humanities on the Internet
- Introduction to the University at Zayed University
- Special Presidential Recognition for Exemplary Efforts to Advance Information Literacy in Higher Education, ACRL National Conference, Seattle, WA, 2009
- Zayed Award for Excellence in Teaching given by students to selected faculty, Zayed University, 2006
- Team leader, Infoasis, ZU's information literacy e-course, wins Best College or University Teacher Project in the international UAE Educational IT Challenge, 2006
- Library Instruction Round Table Distinguished Service Award, Utah Library Association, 2003
- Loew Faculty Award for Outstanding Innovative Teaching, Weber State University, 2001
- Exemplary Collaboration Award for WSU Online Learning, Weber State University, 1999
- Library Instruction Round Table of the American Library Association, LIRT Top 20, 1999
- Innovative Distance Education Award (as part of WSU Online Teaching and Learning Team), Peterson’s and University Continuing Education Association, 1998
- The Internet Navigator, Utah Academic Library Consortium's online course (Lombardo, N. & Hansen, C. primary authors) selected as one of nineteen innovations highlighted in Imagining the Learning Library, ALA President’s Showcase of Ideas: American Library Association, San Francisco, 1997
Selected Funded Research Projects and Grants
- Hansen, C., Lombardo, N., et al. (1999). Information for life: Utah's information literacy initiative, proposal to revise Internet Navigator course. Funded by UALC Directors, for Information for Life Task Force. $24,935.
- Tinkler, S., Hansen, C., et al. (1995). Development of a Certificate Program in International Business. United States Department of Education, $180,000.
- Peay, W., Lombardo, N., Hansen, C., et al. (1995). The Internet Navigator. Utah Higher Education Technology Initiative (HETI), $50,000.
- Hansen, C. & Kumar, P. (1991). Women’s and multicultural voices across the curriculum. Hemingway Foundation, $18,000.
- Hansen, C. (2013). Purchasing strategies of academic libraries for digital content. Panelist at Abu Dhabi International Book Fair, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Hansen, C. (2013). Leadership and best practices in developing information literacy programs: Changing roles and new technologies. Plenary leader at Special Libraries Association, Arabian Gulf Chapter, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Braun, B. & Hansen, C. (2011). Readers’ theatre: A collaborative language and information literacy learning strategy for students in the Arabian Gulf. Presented at Information Literacy Network of the Gulf, Doha, Qatar, and Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Hansen, C. & Hanson, D. (2011). Cultural literacy across the disciplines: Observations, practices, goals and questions. Presented at TESOL Conference in Qatar: Putting Research into Practice, Doha, Qatar.
- Braun, B. & Hansen, C. (2009). Readers' theatre: A collaborative language learning strategy for students in the Arabian Gulf and beyond. Presented at the International Conference on Foreign Language Learning and Teaching, Bangkok, Thailand.
Selected VCUQatar University Service
- Teaching with Technology Task Force, Chair
- Academic Administrators Council
- Chairs and Directors Council
- VCUQatar Faculty Research Grant Committee
Selected VCUQatar Libraries Service
- Web Team, Chair
- Collection Development Team
- Instruction Team
- Qatar Foundation/Education City Library Directors Council
- Information Literacy Network of the Gulf, Steering Committee