Teaching and Learning Librarian
Research and Learning, Teaching and Learning
James Branch Cabell Library, Room 121-E
- M.S. Library Science, University of North Texas, 2010
- B.A. English Literature, Randolph College, 2004
Previous Professional Experience
- Assistant Branch Manager, Chesterfield County Public Library, 2011-2013
- Temporary Reference Assistant, Randolph-Macon College, 2013
- Adjunct Instructor, Bryant and Stratton College, 2011-2012
- Student Academic Assistant, University of North Texas, 2009-2010
- Circulation Supervisor, Randolph-Macon College, 2008-2011
- Bryant & Stratton College
- Introduction to Information Literacy and Research, COMM 150
- First-Year Experience, FYE 098
Honors and Awards
- Virginia Library Association Presidential Citation, 2012
- Chesterfield County Employee of the Year, 2012
- University of North Texas College of Information Outstanding Virginia Faculty Recognition Award, 2011
- ALA Emerging Leader, sponsored by the ALA New Members Round Table, 2011
- Hodge, M. and Francabandera, L. (2014). Insights from The Machiavellian Librarian. ACRL/CHOICE webinar.
- Hodge, M., Palmer, S.S., Mosley, P., Ferrara, B., Parker-Graves, A. (2013). Everything you ever wanted to know about finding your first librarian job. Panel moderator at the American Library Association Annual Conference.
- Hodge, M., Sears, C., Gariepy, L., Stovall, J. (2012). Got leadership? Panel moderator at the Virginia Library Association Annual Conference, Williamsburg, VA.
- Hodge, M. (2012). How to succeed in networking without really trying. Presented at the American Library Annual Conference.
- Hodge, M., Doherty, M.T., Lammers, D., Spoor, N. (2011). Interviewing: Tips from the other side of the table. Presented at the Virginia Library Association Annual Conference, Portsmouth, VA.
- Hodge, M. (2011). Congratulations! You've landed an interview: What do hiring committees really want? Presented at the IFLA World Library and Information Conference, San Juan, PR.
- Hodge, M., Doherty, M.T., Spoor, N. (2011). Inside an interview: Understanding what hiring committees really want. Presented at the American Library Association Annual Conference.
- Hodge, M. (2011). How to be a library leader even if you're in school or underemployed. Presented at the American Library Association Annual Conference.
- Hodge, M. (Forthcoming). Pedagogy for librarians. In D. Lowe-Wincentesn (Ed.), Skills to make a librarian: Transferable skills inside and outside of the library. Cambridge, UK: Chandos.
- Hodge, M. (2014). The constant innovator: When library workers expand their horizons, so do libraries. ALA eLearning (a digital supplement to American Libraries). An excerpt of The Constant Innovator: A New Organizational Mode of Experimentation from Planning Our Future Libraries: Blueprints for 2025.
- Hodge, M. (2013). The constant innovator: A new organizational mode of experimentation. In E. Frierson & K. Leeder (Eds.), Planning our future libraries: Blueprints for 2025. Chicago, IL: American Library Association.
- Hodge, M. (2013). Prince or plebe?: Success at all levels of the library hierarchy. In M. Aho & E. Bennett (Eds.), The Machiavellian librarian. Cambridge, UK: Chandos.
- Hodge, M. & Spoor, N. (2012). Congratulations! You've landed an interview: What do hiring committees really want? New Library World, 113(3/4).
- Hodge, M. (2012). The introvert's guide to networking. LIScareer.com.
- Appleton, B., Hodge, M., Jabaily, M. (2012). Virginia's emerging leaders. Virginia Libraries, 58(3).
- Hodge, M. (2011). New perspectives on leadership: How to be a library leader even if you're in school or underemployed. Library Leadership & Management, 25(3).
- American Library Association
- American Libraries Advisory Committee
- Committee on Legislation, Telecommunications Subcommittee
- Round Table Coordinating Assembly
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Instruction Section
- University Libraries Section
- New Members Round Table
- President, 2014-2015
- Executive Board, Leadership Development Director, 2011-2013
- Virginia Library Association
- Conference Committee Co-Chair, 2012-2013
- New Members Round Table Forum, Co-Founder and Chair
- Virginia Leadership Development Forum
- Virginia Library Association College & Research Libraries Chapter
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Beta Phi Mu (International Library & Information Studies Honor Society)
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Faculty advisor, Auctus: The Undergraduate Journal of Research and Creative Scholarship at VCU
- Campus review panelist, National Scholarship Office
- Instructional design; educational psychology; learning assessment; library human resources; leadership
- Hanover Humane Society, Volunteer
- Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT.org) Editorial Board
- International Journal of ePortfolio, Peer Reviewer