Teaching and Learning Librarian (Instructor)
Research and Learning, Teaching and Learning
James Branch Cabell Library, Room 121-C
- M.S. Library Science, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2012
- B.A. History and Political Science, Gettysburg College, 2010
Previous Professional Experience
- Field Experience Intern, Research and Information Services, D.H. Hill Library, North Carolina State University, 2012
- Graduate Assistant, Research and Information Services, D.H. Hill Library, North Carolina State University, 2011-2012
- Graduate Assistant, North Carolina Digital Heritage Center, 2010-2012
- Special Projects Intern, Gettysburg Campus Library, Harrisburg Area Community College, 2010
- Barbara Holley Intern, Technical Services Department, Musselman Library, Gettysburg College, 2010
- Johns, E. (2014). Developing online learning tools: Strategies for creating a set of best practices for your library. Presented at the Workshop for Instruction in Library Use: "E-magine the Possibilities," London, Ontario.
- Johns, E. (2014). Preparing English-language learners for the American academy: New and evolving practices in course-integrated information literacy in international student programming. Poster presented at the Workshop for Instruction in Library Use: "E-magine the Possibilities," London, Ontario.
- Johns, E. (2014). Creating a colorful classroom: Bringing visual media and graphics into the information literacy session. Presented at The Innovative Library Classroom, Radford, VA.
- Johns, E. (2014). To infinity and beyond videos: Creating a coordinated suite of online learning tools that engage researchers and enhance learning. Presented at LOEX, "Creative Visualization: The Art of Information Literacy," Grand Rapids, MI.
- Johns, E. (2012). Technology use and collaboration in group study rooms: A study of students in D.H. Hill Library, North Carolina State University. Presented at "Assessing the Present and Preparing for the Future: A Symposium of Current LIS Research," UNC Chapel Hill.
- Johns, E. & Chapman, J. (2012). The state of the archives: Current issues in newspaper digitization. Poster presented at Society of North Carolina Archivists 2012 Annual Conference.
Selected University Service
- Faculty Learning Community, International Students
- Faculty Advisor, Auctus: The Undergraduate Journal of Research and Creative Scholarship at VCU
- National Scholarship Campus Review Panels
- Faculty Co-Mentor, Honors Summer Undergraduate Research Program, "Web Development of Auctus: The Undergraduate Journal of Research and Creative Scholarship at VCU"
Selected VCU Libraries Service
- Secretary, VCU Libraries' Faculty Organization
- Library Web Redesign Task Force
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Instruction Section: Instructional Technologies Committee
- Virginia Library Association
- New Members Round Table, Communications and Outreach Director
- Scholarship Committee
- American Library Association
- Library Instruction Round Table: Teaching, Learning and Technology Committee
- New Members Round Table: Endnotes Committee
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Mentoring Program, Mentee
- Pi Lambda Sigma, National Honorary Business and Pre-Legal Fraternity
- Online learning; technology and learning; international students; instruction and user education; information literacy; learning assessment; leadership; student mentoring
- Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority
- National Archivist
- Membership Recruitment Advisor, Epsilon Sigma Chapter, VCU