Archivist and Head, TML Special Collections and Archives
Tompkins-McCaw Library, TML Special Collections and Archives
Tompkins-McCaw Library, Room 1-032
- M.A. History, Old Dominion University, 1989
- B.A. History, Old Dominion University, 1976
Previous Professional Experience
- Library Assistant, VCU, 1978-1981
- Assistant to the University Archivist, Old Dominion University, 1976-1977
- Archival and Historical Administration, VCU
- Archives and Archival Administration, VCU
- Archives and Society, HISP 303, Mary Washington College
- Koste, J. (2010). Effects of the Civil War on medical Education in the South. Presented at Museum of the Confederacy Seminar, Binding the Wounds, 1861-2010.
- Koste, J. (2008). Deception, dissection, and resurrection: Anatomical instruction in 19th century Virginia. Presented at University of Virginia Medical Center Hour Lecture Series.
- Koste, J. (2005). The Virginia nursing hall of fame, class of 2005. Presented at Virginia Nurses Association Annual Convention.
- Koste, J. (2009). Medical school for a nation: The Medical College of Virginia, 1860-1865. In J.M. Schmidt (Ed.), Years of change and suffering: Modern perspectives on Civil War medicine. Roseville, MN: Edinborough Press.
- Bonis, R., Koste, J., Lyons, C. (2006). Virginia Commonwealth University. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing.
- Koste, J. (1999). John Peter Mettauer. American National Biography, 15: 390-391.
Selected University Service
- Heritage Room Committee, School of Nursing
- Heritage Committee, School of Pharmacy
- American Association for the History of Medicine
- Co-editor of AAHM Newsletter
- Archivists and Librarians in the History of the Health Sciences
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference
Collection Management Subject Areas
- Tompkins-McCaw Library Special Collections
- History of nursing; Civil War medicine; archival education