VCU Libraries Faculty Vita
Director of Libraries, VCUQatar
Room 1060, VCUQatar Library
- BA Johnston College, University of Redlands, Redlands, California
- MLS University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
Previous Professional Experience
Carol Hansen is Director of Libraries at Virginia Commonwealth University’s School of the Arts in Qatar. Prior to working in Qatar Carol worked for many years as Professor, Arts and Humanities Librarian and the Instruction Services Librarian at Weber State University in Ogden, Utah. She is a past president of the Utah Library Association. From 2004 to 2006 and from 2007 to 2009 she served as the Library Supervisor and Learning Enhancement Centers Supervisor at Zayed University in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE). She began her career at Jundi Shapur University in Ahwaz, Iran and served as a USIA/ALA Library Fellow at Universiti Utara Malaysia. Carol is a founder of the Information Literacy Network of the Gulf and served as a faculty member for ACRL’s Institute for Information Literacy summer immersion program.
- Adamson, S., Hansen, C. & Fowler, L. (2004-2005). Using Selected Assessment Data to InformInformation Literacy Program Planning with Campus Partners. Research Strategies, 20 (1-2), 44-56.
- Hansen, C. (2004, 16 December). Information Literacy For Lifelong Learning. Al Ittihad [an invited article to encourage the inclusion of information literacy into education reform initiatives in the UAE, translated into Arabic by the newspaper.], p.7.
- Lombardo, N. & Hansen, C. (2004, March). So Many Meetings, So Little Time: Using IP Videoconferencing to Revitalize Statewide Committees. Libres: Library and Information Science Research Electronic Journal, 14(1).
- Hansen, C. Internet Resources on Dance. (2002). College and Research Libraries News, 63 (11), 776-779.
- Hansen, C. & Zublin, C. (2001, June). Humanities on the Internet: A Collaborative Model for Faculty Development. In World EdMedia 2001 Conference Proceedings, Tampere, Finland.
- Hansen, C. (2001). The Internet Navigator an Online Internet Course for Distance Learners. Library Trends, 50(1), 58-71.
- Brunvand, A., Hansen, C., Kochan, C., Lee, D., McCloskey, K. M., & Morrison, R. (2001). Consortium Solutions to Distance Education Problems: Utah Academic Libraries Answer the Challenges. Journal of Library Administration, 31(4), 75-91.
- Hansen, C. and Lombardo, N. (1997). Toward the Virtual University: Collaborative Development of a Web Based Course. Research Strategies, 15, 68-79.
- Gammill, L., Hansen, C. & Tinkler, S. (1992, July/August). Linked Courses: A Method to Reinforce Basic Skills. Journal of Education in Business, 67(6), 358-60.
Carol's research interests center around information literacy instruction assessment and collaboration.