VCU Libraries Faculty Vita
Head, Collection Analysis and Investment
Collection Analysis and Investment
Room 212, James Branch Cabell Library
M.P.A. Public Administration. Virginia Commonwealth University, 2006.
B.A. Government. College of William and Mary, 1979.
Previous Professional Experience
Computer Resources Cataloging Librarian
Collection Management Librarian
VCU, 1992-1994, 1996-1997
Cary and Joyce Ogburn. "Developing a Consortial Approach to Cataloging and Intellectual Access." Library Collections, Acquisitions and Technical Services 24 (1): 45-51 (2000).
Cary and Ngoc-My Guidarelli. "Untapped Resource: Art Students Cataloging Art Exhibition Catalogs at Virginia Commonwealth University." Cataloging & Classification Quarterly 26 (4): 63-75 (1999).
Cary and Juleigh Clark. "An Approach to the Evaluation of Ready Reference Collections." Reference Services Review 23 (1): 39-43 (1995).
Cary and Brenda L. Seago, et al.. "Journal Club with a Mission." Bulletin of the Medical Library Association 82 (1): 73-74 (1994).
Presenter and panel member, 3rd Annual Society for Scholarly Publishing Focus Group; Role of Librarians in the 21st Century, 2007.
Presentation (with Mary Anne Dyer) on lending e-readers and iPads at the VASLA Summer Program, August 2011.
"Collection Development in Academic Libraries". VLA Spring Program on Collection Development. 2000
"Policies: What, Where, When, Who...". Library of Virginia Fall Staff Development Program. 2000
"Electronic Serials". VIVA Spring Workshop: Cataloging Electronic Resources. 1999
"Tax Services on CD-ROM". Joint Open Forum on Tax and Taxation Research, held by the Business Reference in Academic Libraries and Business Reference in Public Libraries Committees, ALA Mid-winter Conference. 1994
Honors 399: Control and Retrieval of Information, VCU, 1.5 credits, undergraduate.
Organization of Information, Catholic University, 3 credits, graduate.
University Committee Work
Faculty Senate, Representative 2008-March 2010
Committee for Professional Degree Programs (Ad-hoc) 2002-2006
University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (Ad-hoc) 2002
Graduate Programs and Courses (Ad-hoc). 1999-
University Council, Representative. 1997-1999
Grievance Board, Alternate 1996-1997
Faculty Senate Academic Support Services Committee 1995-1996
Faculty Senate, Secretary 1994-1995
Faculty Senate; Academic Support Services Committee, Chair 1993-1994
Faculty Senate, Representative 1993-1996
VCU Libraries Committee Work
E-Reader Task Force, Chair 2011
Media and Reserves Services Task Force, 2011
Strategic Planning Committee 2004-2005
Peer Review Committee, Chair 2003-2004
Faculty Organization, Chair 2000-2001
American Library Association
- Association for Library Collections and Technical Services
- Collection Management and Development Section 1999-
- Policy and Planning Copmmittee 2003-2005
- Quantitative Measures Committee 2000-2002
- Cataloging and Classification Section 1991-2001
- Cataloging Policy and Research Committee 1998-2000
- Acquisitions Section 1999-
- Membership Committee 1994-1996
- Organization and Bylaws Committee, CMDS Representative 2003-2005
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Education and Behavioral Sciences Section 1997-2008
- University Libraries Section 1991-2008
- Bibliographic Instruction Section 1991-1996
- Anthropology and Sociology Section 1991-1996
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Library Organization and Management Section 2001-2008
- Measurement, Evaluation and Assessment Section 2001-2008
- Reference and User Services Division
- Business Reference in Academic Libraries Committee, 1993-1995
Virginia Library Association
- College and University Section 1991-
- Scholarship Committee 2002-2004
- Technical Services, Automation and Resources Forum, Chair-Elect 1996; Chair 1997
- VLA Council 1997
- Administrative Services Committee 1995, 1998-2000
Potomac Technical Processing Librarians (regional sub-group of ALCTS) 1994-
Richmond Metropolitan Online Users League, President 1992-1993; 1991-1994
Chesterfield County Friends of the Library, Board Member 1994-1997