- Open Discussion
January 2012 Archives
We'll have a guest joining us who will be talking with you about the implementation of a new search tool at VCU Libraries. We're calling this tool "Quick Search." Right now at VCU Libraries, you have to search for books in one place (the catalog), articles in many other places (the databases). The goal of this new "Quick Search" tool is to search a very large portion of the collections from once place -- including books and articles. Erin White, our Web Systems Librarian, will be joining us to show you the new product and also ask for your feedback.
In order to get the most feedback possible, Erin would appreciate it if you all could take some time to play with this product in advance. To access Quick Search, go to the Tompkins-McCaw Library website at http://www.library.vcu.edu/tml and click on the "Quick Search" tab on the search box in the middle of the screen. Please regard the following screenshot to access Quick Search:
Questions to consider:
· Pretend you're trying to find a copy of your favorite book. Use Quick Search to find it, and see if you can locate the call number for the book.
· Think about the last time you had to conduct a search for a clinical question or literature - does this tool get you to resources you would have needed?
· See if you can figure out how to add the items you like to a list and e-mail them to yourself so you can keep up with them.
· Generally, please be prepared to discuss your experience with using Quick Search at the meeting!
- Upgrading Public Computers
- Enhancing Collaborative Spaces
- Digital Media Equipment
During the March TMLGAC meeting, we will present you a list of items we want to have this fee contributed too. In the meantime, we want you to think about the following questions:
- At your previous institutions, did you have access to technology in your library which you think would enhance your experience at the VCU Libraries?
- Do you have any suggestions of additional technology to added to assist you in your studies?