2. Follow-Up from previous meeting
- Joining TMLGAC Next Year - Emily will be sending out an interest form in joining TMLGAC next year. This form is not a commitment but to help know who would like to be on the committee next year.
- Upcoming Events
- Study Breaks - May 6th to 9th 3-5PM
- Dogs on Call - May 7th Noon
3. Open Discussion
- STF Funding Approval
- T. Knott introduced the proposed Student Technology Fee list to the members of the Tompkins-McCaw Graduate Advisory Committee. She explained how the students a portion of their tuition is allocated to this fee and it is used outfit the university with technology. The VCU Libraries' goal is to create a technology environment filled with contemporary tools for students to discover, learn, create and grow.
- T. Knott explained how it is the libraries intention to upgrade and recycle many public computer stations, add a charging station for mobile devices and add materials for Tompkins-McCaw's Consultation Suite.
- The students were very interested in Macs computers added to the list. They expressed how they use Macs in their labs in their respected schools so they would like to access them here in the library. We explained some of the issues we have with our networking with desktop Macs. We are working around this issue with adding Macbooks to our list. They will be available for checkout like our other laptops.
- The students expressed some concern over the equipment intended for the Innovative Media Studio. They wanted to know about the groups who would use these materials. They also expressed concerns over the scalability of these services. The 3D printer would be a one-time cost but the materials used to produce the product could be expensive. This is something the libraries are going to investigate further with the addition of new position of Head of the Innovative Media Studio.
- One student expressed her want for a Clinical System Prototype. This would provide students with an example Electronic Health Record in a neutral setting. This could also be used to leverage the promotion of more Interprofessional Education opportunities on the MCV campus. This might be added to a future STF list.
- TMLGAC Improvement Discussion
- Thank you to our group for offering candid suggestions for possible improvements to the TMLGAC next year.
- From the feedback, there is a need for more summarization prior to the meetings about recurring topics we cover in TMLGAC. This is especially important with committee members who have been part of the committee for many years.
- The setting of goals at the beginning of the year could help with engagement in work with TMLGAC. The work will then be reflected in a "record of improvement" throughout the year.
- For those who are new member of TMLGAC, an orientation with previous work accomplished by the TMLGAC should be provided. Emily will work on this during the summer for the incoming members.
- The Cabell Undergraduate Advisory Committee has a service component to their committee work. From your suggestions, there will be no requirement of participation but an invitation to possibly post an item on our TML News blog or to help at a Library Event. These invitations will be sensitive to the demands on your time and requested well before the event date.
- If you have any other suggestions, please email Emily with your idea.