VCU in Pictures Features University College of Medicine Faculty Portrait
Currently featured on VCU in Pictures, this photo is of the faculty of the University College of Medicine about 1894. The University College of Medicine began in 1893 in a building that was on the site of McGuire Hall. It was founded by Dr. Hunter Holmes McGuire and continued as a free-standing medical school (and rival to MCV) until 1913 when it merged with MCV.
Shown in the photo:
Row 1: Dr. Thomas J. Moore, Dr. Hunter H. McGuire, Dr. Lewis M. Corwardin; Row 2: Dr. William S. Gordon, Dr. J. Allison Hodges, Dr. Jacob Michaux, Dr. Joesph A. White; Row 3: T. Wilber Chelf, Ph.G., Dr. Landon B. Edwards, Dr. Moses D. Hoge, Jr., Dr. Charles L. Steel, Dr. Charles H. Chalkley; Row 4: Dr. Paulus A. Irving, Dr. Stuart McGuire, Dr. John F. Winn, Dr. W. T. Oppenhimer; Row 5: Dr. James N. Ellis, Dr. Charles V. Carrington, Dr. Edward McGuire, Tom Haskins, morgue attendant, Dr. John Dunn. The man in the doorway is unidentified.