McGuire Hall is 100 Years Old Today
One hundred years ago today Richmonders and medical students participated in the formal opening of a new academic building for the University College of Medicine (UCM) located at the corner of 12th and Clay Streets. The red brick building trimmed in Indiana limestone was described as a "model of completeness ... with every new facility for the most modern methods of medical instruction." The institution's original building, the old Bruce-Lancaster House, was destroyed by fire in January of 1910. Friends of UCM rallied around the medical school and raised $100,000 towards the cost of the new building and its equipment. The college enjoyed its new facility for just one academic term. At the close of the 1913 session UCM was merged with the Medical College of Virginia to form one stronger medical school for Richmond. The new building became the property of MCV and subsequently was named "McGuire Hall" in honor of UCM founder, Dr. Hunter Holmes McGuire.