TML News and Notes: E-books
Each of these online tools offers a compendium of leading texts, image banks and videos, an integrated drug database, self-assessment questions and many other resources. Faculty can create learning modules and track student progress with the optional "Custom Curriculum" feature. Mobile versions are available to users who set up a personal profile.
The sources can be easily located through the Databases A-Z list and links to individual e-book titles appear in the catalog.
Because only a limited number of users can view the content at one time, some users may have to wait a few minutes for access.
Training sessions for all Access products will be offered in January at Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences.
- Electronic Books:contains
more than 60 f titles. These books not only contain the full text of
the book you would find on the shelf, but also many have exclusive
online content that is updated regularly. Some of the titles that are
contained in the database are
Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18e
CURRENT Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012
Hurst's The Heart, 13e
Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 12e
Williams Obstetrics, 23eBasic & Clinical Pharmacology, 11e
Schwartz's Principles of Surgery, 9e
Adams and Victor's Principles of Neurology, 9e
- Case Files: there are 150 cases that are selected from the LANGE Case Files™ series and Pathophysiology of Disease: An Introduction to Clinical Medicine, 6e that can be searched by case number or by specialty. Each case provides information on the case or condition along with questions to help the user to assess their understanding.
- Question & Answer (Q&A): this section is good for self-assessment on an assortment of medical topics. In this section you can access the USMLE Lite
along with questions from other texts in the collection. The nice
thing about these assessments is that links are provided upon answering
that provide further information.
- Clerkship Corner: provides a set of readings that are targeted to students who are doing internal medicine rotations.
- Other Highlights: the database also contains treatment guidelines and drug monographs.
- Methods in Enzymology
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Access Medicine
- Access Science
- LWW Nursing Health Assessment Video Series
VCU Libraries announces the addition of the following e-book titles on MD Consult:
Ashcraft's Pediatric Surgery
Assisted Ventilation of the Neonate
Breast Cancer: Early Diagnosis of Cancer
Brocklehurst's Textbook of Geriatric Medicine & Gerontology
Cohen & Powderly's Infectious Diseases
Infectious Diseases of the Fetus and the Newborn Infant
McDonald and Avery's Dentistry for the Child and Adolescent
McCracken's Removable Partial Prosthodontics
Rutherford's Vascular Surgery
Sabiston & Spencer's Surgery of the Chest
Yen & Jaffe's Reproductive Endocrinology
These highly respected titles, along with 60 more, are available to all VCU faculty, staff and students.
VCU Libraries is pleased to announce the availability of AccessMedicine from McGraw-Hill. This new online resource features over 60 medical book titles, drug information, thousands of images and illustrations, interactive self-assessment programs, case files, diagnostic tools and the ability to download content to a mobile device.
The Clinical Library includes such well-known and trusted book titles as:
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
- Hurst's The Heart
- Schwartz's Principles of Surgery
- Williams Obstetrics
- Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics
The Lange Educational Library provides access to texts in basic science and clinical medicine, including titles in the Current Diagnosis & Treatment series.
AccessMedicine also includes these other online resources and features:
- Drug Database - Gold Standard's Clinical Pharmacology drug database with full length drug monographs, patient handouts in English and Spanish, and full-color photos of formulations
- Over 35,000 images, downloadable for presentations and educational use
- Q&A for Board Review - USMLE-formatted questions for Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3; self-assessment questions with answers and detailed explanations from Harrison's Online and other leading textbooks.
- Diagnostic Tests and Diagnosaurus - laboratory and imaging tests from Nicoll's Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests and a differential diagnosis tool that links directly into AccessMedicine for more learning.
- Videos & Audio - online Grand Rounds, procedural videos, audio clips and podcasts, and weekly online medical updates.
- Health News - from The Center for Advancing Health, including "What Your Patients are Reading Now" and "Systematic Reviews in the News."
- Practice Guidelines - from the latest edition of Current Practice Guidelines in Primary Care.
- Case Files - clinical cases from Toy's best-selling series with discussions, clinical pearls and review questions.
- Patient Education -- over 100 topics from Postgraduate Medicine that can be customized and printed for patients.
- Clerkship Corner - readings for students rotating through Internal Medicine.
- Curriculum Tools - available for program directors to design custom learning modules with resources for clinical rotations.
- MyAccessMedicine - a personal account to access the mobile version of the site, save and download images, email content and bookmark favorite sections.
VCU Libraries now provides access to the online Encyclopedia of Healthcare Information Systems from IGI Global. This online work provides an extensive compilation of international research on the use, adoption, design and diffusion of information communication technologies in healthcare. Topics covered include computerized medical records, patient safety, economic implications, medical information security, physician-patient communication, telehealth, and much more. There are over 170 chapters written by leading experts from around the world. Each entry includes an overview, highlights of recent trends and advancements, tables, figures, references, and a list of key terms. Bibliographic information at the chapter level can be imported into RefWorks. Basic and advanced searching is available, as is a keyword index.
Consult the Encyclopedia of Healthcare Information Systems for comprehensive, authoritative coverage and information pertinent to healthcare information systems.