Loansome Doc® is a method of ordering documents for users of the National Library of Medicine's PubMed®. When searching in PubMed, a user may order articles from a list of retrieved citations. Additional information about Loansome Doc may be found at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/factsheets/loansome_doc.html .
HOW TO REGISTER
If you are a VCU faculty, staff, student or Health System Employee use, ILLiad instead of Loansome Doc.
This is a two-part registration process. Until both parts are complete, your request will not be filled.
There are three categories for users of Loansome Doc through VCU. When registering you must choose one. They are:
- Corporate/Commercial Users - users requesting materials for their for-profit business
Once you have completed the VCU registration form, you will receive the VCU identification number. You will need this number for the second part of the registration.
- Health Care Professionals - users who are requesting materials for patient care, medical and clinical research
- Residents/Individuals- users who are requesting materials for personal use
Go to the online Loansome Doc Registration form to register through the National Library of Medicine. You will use the VCU identification number for both the library identifier and your authorization code.
HOW TO USE LOANSOME DOC
While reviewing your PubMed search results, you may select references to articles that you wish to order. Information identifying you and the desired articles is uploaded to the National Library of Medicine, which sends the information to VCU Libraries. We will retrieve requests daily, Monday through Friday, and fill the request within two working days if owned by VCU Libraries. If we do not own the article, we may transfer the request to the National Library of Medicine's automated interlibrary loan system which will route the request to a library that owns the journal. That library may copy the article and send it directly to you. The time for delivery by another library may vary.
You have the option of receiving articles by:
- Electronic delivery
- U.S. first class mail
- Picking them up at the Tompkins-McCaw Library Service Desk
- Picking them up at the James Branch Cabell Library, Circulation & Information Services Desk
We will use your preferred method of delivery on your Loansome Doc registration form, unless you note differently on the individual request.
WHAT ARE THE FEES FOR THIS SERVICE
- Corporate/Commercial Users -$35 per filled request
- Health Care Professionals -$11 per filled request
- Residents/Individuals - $11 per filled request
- Fax : $10
- Rush: $10
- VCU Libraries reserves the right to double the charges for copies over 30 pages.
Additional charges may include:
Invoices will be mailed to the address you provided on your registration form. Methods of payment include cash, credit card and check.
Virginia Commonwealth University
Resource Delivery Services
509 North 12th Street
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.