Renewing Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Materials
Check your ILLiad record or the bands on items borrowed through the ILLiad system for due dates, to determine if an item can be renewed and for renewal procedures.
INTERLIBRARY LOAN MATERIALS (Borrowed From Another Library)
- To determine if an item can be renewed, check the information printed on the band that covers the item. This band indicates whether the item is renewable with instructions on how to renew. This information is also found in the ILLiad system.
- Sometimes renewal requests are denied by the lending insitution even when the band indicates that renewals are permitted.
- Some items can be renewed. For renewable items, only 1 renewal is allowed.
- Some libraries do not permit renewal and the item must be returned when due to avoid replacement charges. If a library does not permit renewals, return the item and submit another request. We will attempt to borrow the item from another library.
- If the item is already due or overdue, ILLiad will not allow a renewal. Return the item and submit another request. We will attempt to borrow the item from another library.
- Renewals requested via the ILLiad system can only be submitted within the 14 days prior to the due date.
- Log into your ILLiad record.
- Select 'Checked Out' under the 'View' section.
- Click on the transaction number of the item to be renewed.
- These items cannot be renewed by the staff at circulation points or via "'My Library Record."
- The lenght of the renewal period varies from library to library and by format (book, AV, Dissertation, etc.) and is determined by the lending institution. When items are initially borrowed, the lending institution does not provide VCU Libraries with the length of the renewal period. In general, the lenght of renewals is two weeks.
- When an approval has been received from the lending library, you will receive an email stating that your renewal request has been approved and the new due date. If the renewal request is denied by the lending library, your email message will indicate that the renewal request has been denied and ask that you return the item on the due date already given.
DOCUMENT DELIVERY MATERIALS (Borrowed From VCU Libraries)
- Items borrowed from the VCU Libraries' collections are covered with band that states "Borrwed From VCU Libraries". This band provides renewal instructions and the due date.
- To renew:
- Go to your VCU Libraries My Account, e-Shelf, and Saved Searches .`
- Enter your eID username and password. Then click "'Log On."
- Click on "'Loans" underneath the "Activities" heading.
- Click on the underlined number corresponding to the item under the heading 'No'.
- Click on the underlined word 'Renew' located in the loan details. You will then be taken back to a previous screen displaying screen displaying your new due dates.
- If the item can not be renewed, please contact us at email@example.com for assistance.