- When is the library open?
- When is Starbucks open?
- Is there a fax machine I can use?
- Can I get a quick overview of where things are located in the library?
- How do I get items not available at VCU Libraries?
- What if I am leaving late at night -- can someone walk me home or to my car?
- What can I do if I am feeling threatened or disturbed by another person?
- What do I do in the event of an emergency?
For the full semester schedule, including today's hours, see our building hours Web page. Note that Cabell Library is open different hours on different days of the week. Operating hours also change with the academic schedule, particularly during final exams and intersession periods.
Starbucks is open seven days a week during the regular semester. Note that hours may be different on holidays, intersession, or the summer semester. Please call 828-5552 if you wish to verify hours.
Cabell Library has a self-service, public fax machine located near the copier/printer corral on the first floor. The cost is $1.50 for the first page and $1.00 for each additional page; international rates are higher. Payment can be made with a credit or debit card. Assistance is available to users at any time via a telephone that connets directly to the fax vending company's customer service helpline.
Want to go green? Use a digital sender! You can scan materials and then e-mail them for free.
Floor maps of Cabell Library are available via our Web site.
If you need materials that are missing or not owned by the VCU Libraries, there are two methods of acquiring the items you need.
Richmond Academic Library Consortium (RALC):
If you are willing to travel to another Richmond academic library that has the book you need, you can check it out using your VCU Card and a RALC Pass, available at the Cabell Library Reference Desk or the Tompkins-McCaw Library Service Desk. See the RALC page for more details and for a list of participating libraries. Learn more with this video.
Interlibrary Loan Services:
You can fill out an Interlibrary Loan request and library staff will acquire them for you. Articles and shorter materials can be delivered electronically and books are available for pickup at the service desk of your choice. See the Interlibrary Loan page for more information. Learn more with this video.
Faculty, students, and the staff of VCU are encouraged to call the Security Escort Service operated by the VCU Police Department. You may dial 828-WALK or activate one of the Emergency Reporting Telephones located around campus. The hours of operation for the Monroe Park Campus are Sunday to Saturday 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. Cross campus hours are Monday to Friday 2:00 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. and Saturday to Sunday 9:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.
Go to nearest library service desk and request that the library's security guard be dispatched to your location. If you believe that you are in an emergency situation and are unable to come to a service desk, call 828-1234 to contact the emergency operator at the VCU Police Department. Please note that red emergency telephones are located near the elevators on each floor of Cabell, as well as in the Group Study Zone on the second floor.
- If the fire alarm goes off, walk to the nearest available exit and leave the building. Emergency exits are at the bottom of all stairwells in Cabell Library, except the stairs next to the front door.
- If the power goes out, you can either leave or wait for instructions from library staff. If the building is going to be evacuated, library staff with flashlights will help you exit the building safely.
- If a major, life-threatening emergency is imminent, the sirens on top of Cabell Library will go off, text messages will be sent to your cell phones, and messages will pop up on all library computers. DO NOT LEAVE THE BUILDING IN THE EVENT OF SUCH AN EMERGENCY.