Media Computer Use
VCU Libraries is providing multimedia sampling stations to enhance digital access to our collections and to support new media technologies in research and instruction. The VCU community can use digital collections and digitized sounds, video clips, images, and text to enhance their learning and teaching!
- Use of the multimedia sampling stations is limited to VCU students, faculty, and employees.
- Stations are loaned for 4-hour periods.
- Stations are self-service. Staff are available for basic orientation and equipment support ONLY.
- Advanced Appointments are encouraged for consultation or more detailed instruction.
- Equipment is made available on a priority basis as follows. You may be bumped for a patron whose purpose has a higher priority.
- Priority A: Students and faculty using course reserves or VCU Libraries collections for educational outreach purposes.
- Priority B: VCU students, faculty, and staff for VCU scholarship and research.
- Priority C: VCU students, faculty, and staff for personal or entertainment purposes.
- Workstations are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, unless reserved. Stations may be reserved up to a week in advance. To reserve a station, email MRS or call 828-1088.
- Patrons must checkout stations at the MRS service desk prior to use. VCU ID is required. Statistics and information from the checkout process will help to support and improve the service.
- Patrons must comply with the copyright law, VCU Computer and Network Resources Use Policy, Guidelines for Faculty and Staff Use of Communication Media, and VCU license agreements.
- Maintaining a consistent interface is essential for public service. Patrons abusing this policy with be barred from this service.
- Changing workstation configuration outside the needs of your project is prohibited.
- Adding and deleting programs is not allowed.
- Stations automatically delete locally saved files on reboot, therefore files should be copied to an external device or system. Some file saving options are:
- Storage: 3.5" diskettes, Zip disc, CD, DVD, USB memory sticks or external harddrives. 3.5" diskettes may be purchased from the Cabell Library Circulation Desk. The rest may be purchased from the VCU Bookstore.
- Online: Send them via email or upload them to your account in the Blackboard Content System. You can later retrieve the files from any computer connected to the Internet. See these Blackboard Content System FAQs.