Distributor Resources: Film and General Media
Members of the VCU community may need to identify the current distributors, producers, or rights holders of a film or other media program. Is the title available in the latest formats? Who do I contact for the digitial rights? The following are general resources and tips for finding educational or independent media distributors and producers.
- Search the web for the original distributor or the program title.
- Search WorldCat VCU to identify alternative distributors. There will often be multiple entries for various formats and releases over time. Tip: search by "title" and use the format limit.
- Film Distributor Database Media Resource Center, UC Berkeley includes status of the distributor such as name changes, mergers, etc. as well as general description and browse options, including out of print distributors.
- Video Librarian Distibutor Database VCU includes contact and web address of 1,000 distributors of videos and dvd's.
- Internet Movie Database includes company credits and theatrical release date information. The upper right corner includes icons/links for purchasing available formats. If these are grayed out, there may not be a general U.S. retail release or it may be out of print. For independent films and documentaries, there is often a link to the official film web site. IMDBpro provides direct contacts for filmmakers and production companies.
- Media Review Digest covers film, interactive media, CD-ROM's and audio formats; includes distributor and producer directory. Cabell Reference Z5784.M9 M85
- Video Source Book, comprehensive source, updated twice annually. Cabell Media and Reserves Reference PN1992.95 .V52
- Amazon.com indicates current general retail market, forthcoming releases, and links to out-of-print sources. Many small educational distributors are not be affiliated with Amazon, so do not rely on this and other retail distributors as your authority for whether a title is available or out of print.
- Facets.org is a good source for the status of out-of-print and forth coming dvd release for feature, international, performance, animation, and other film studies titles.
Not all distributors have the right to sell to all markets for the same title. Examples of the different market options: home use, educational or institutional market (which may include limited public performance rights [PPR]), theatrical rights, broadcast rights, duplication master rights, and digitization rights. Many independent distributors handle multiple rights options. Digital rights may not be discussed within a distributor site or catalog. Inquire through customer services or sales representative.
Resources relating to the copyright holder for specific types of materials or searching the copyright site for a work are available from Copyright Permission Resources.
Additional information or referrals are available by contacting Media & Reserve Services or
Nell Chenault, Access and Media Librarian
Media & Reserve Services
James Brach Cabell Library
(804) 828-2070, 828-1088 (MRS)
VCU Available on OR off-campus with EZProxy