Public Access and Use of Materials
Welcome to Media Resource Services (MRS). Here you will find media collections that include videos, CDs, phonograph records, computer software, laserdiscs, 35mm slides, and books-on-tape. Access to the media collections is available only to registered VCU library borrowers and members of the general public who have scholarly research needs. Access is restricted to extend the useful life of our collections and to maintain security. The mission of Media Resource Services is to support the teaching and research needs of the University.
General public users (who are not registered VCU library borrowers) are required to complete a Scholar's Registration Form and be approved as a scholar by the MRS staff. Scholars must also present a valid state identification/drivers license and an institutional identification/business card. They must be 14 years of age or older.
Registration stays in effect as long as the scholar continues to use materials for the same reason and subject.
Materials in MRS are available to all registered VCU library borrowers and approved scholars on equal terms of access. Privileged or exclusive use of these materials will not be granted to any person or persons, nor is access to any of these materials denied unless specified by purchase agreement or license. See the Media Resource Services at James Branch Cabell Library brochure for circulation policies.
- To request media materials and equipment, users
must complete a Scholar's Registration Form and present the required I.D.'s. Call
slips are required for each video, laserdisc, computer software, or CD. Users are
allowed only 5 items at a time.
- Only the user to whom the media materials are
given is allowed to handle those items.
- No requests will be accepted 30 minutes before
- Users must exercise care in handling media. The
following rules must be observed:
- All audiocassettes and videos must be rewound. They must be ejected at the beginning or end of the tape.
- CDs and phonograph records must be handled by placing fingers on outer edge and center label only.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the MRS media carrels.
- Equipment is for use only with VCU owned materials.
- Copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) forbids the duplication of copyrighted materials, except as permitted by Fair Use (Section 107).