The William J. Anderson House
The William J. Anderson House, 1000 West Franklin Street, Richmond, Virginia, built ca. 1898.
This online exhibit explores the architectural elements of the William J. Anderson House, built in the late 19th century in the Richardsonian style.
This site highlights the impressive stone work of late 19th century Richmond, gives a sketch of the building's owner, William J. Anderson (1839-1911), and of the Richmond Stove Company of which he was president. Using previously unpublished images and other materials, the site compares the Anderson House to the similar, lost Brown-Allison-Moore House which stood at 819 West Franklin Street, built 1892. Most important of these similarities is the intricate stonework these two brownstone residences shared. Lastly, the site introduces William R. Mason (1848-1921), a Scottish born stone mason, whose work in Richmond at the turn of the last century included both of these buildings.
This site is based on the research of Jolene Milot, Special Collections and Archives' Archival Assistant for the Arts & Reference, whose work in 2002 led to new insights into the "open air museum of architectural history" that exists on the 800, 900, and 1000 blocks of VCU's Monroe Park Campus.
[The image of 1000 West Franklin Street on the right dates from 1926 when the building briefly served as a "Eating Room" called "The Virginian" -- courtesy of the Valentine Richmond History Center.]
- Architectural details of the William J. Anderson House
- Richmond Stove Company
- Brown-Allison-Moore House, 819 W. Franklin St.
- William R. Mason, Stone Mason
- About this site