Tools and Apps
VCU librarians prepare research guides that bring together a variety of library resources to support research on specific topics. The guides are organized by:
RefWorks is a free and powerful online research management, writing and collaboration tool. It will help you easily gather, organize, store and share information, and to instantly generate citations and bibliographies.
Learn more about how to set up Google Scholar to connect to VCU resources.
Connecting Apps and Software
Mobile apps or other research tools may ask for these addresses:
- Proxy address:
- OpenURL address:
Endnote and Z39.50
- Server address: alma.exlibrisgroup.com
- Port: 210
- Database name: 01VCU_INST
- Recordtype: USMARC
- Browzine: Discover, read, and monitor top journals in your field from your iPad or tablet.
- Discover Hot Articles: Download an app for iPhone, iPod or Android that shows you popular articles in your field.
- Mobile-enabled databases: Find databases that are accessible from your phone.
- WorldCat Mobile: Search for books and materials, call a library or map a route to a library near you.
- Refworks Mobile: Find the VCU Group Code on our RefWorks Guide
Drag the bookmarklet links below to your browser's bookmarks toolbar or right-click and add to favorites.
- Get It @ VCU: Access journals, articles and other library resources from off-campus without going through the library website.
- NYT articles via VCU Libraries: If an article is not available to you for free on the New York Times website, use this bookmarklet to access the article through the VCU Libraries LexisNexis subscription.
- Amazon: Does VCU own this? Find a good resource at Amazon? Check to see if VCU owns it.