Student Laptop Loan
- Laptops borrowed from James Branch Cabell Library may be taken outside the library. Those borrowed from Tompkins-McCaw Library are available for in-library use only.
- Access to the internet is via wireless.
- Laptops may be borrowed for a 4 hour period.
- Laptops may not be requested in advance; only one laptop may be checked out at a time.
- Laptops must be returned to the laptop service desk by 30 minutes prior to library closing.
- Overdue fines are $10 per hour (or portion of an hour; up to a maximum $250) and use of library materials will be blocked with accumulated fines.
- Replacement costs may exceed $1,400.00, and your library and VCU Records & Registration accounts may be blocked until paid.
Help and User Awareness Information:
- Laptop service desks, for questions regarding loans, fines, and laptop availability:
- Laptop service desks provide basic computer problem support and troubleshooting. Library service desk staff may refer software and hardware problems to the VCU helpIT Center.
- Work must be saved and backed up to an external drive or Blackboard, as the hard drive of laptops will be wiped clean on reboot.
- Do not leave the laptop unattended at any time. Theft is a reality in the library as in any public environment.
Is There a Laptop Available?
Check links below to VCU Libraries Search to see if a laptop is available. See the "Status" column.
Laptop Software and Hardware:
- LENOVO ThinkPad T and L series15" laptops
- Windows7 Pro
- VCU SafeNet wireless
- Microsoft Office 2010, Adobe Design Premium CS5, myITLab, iTunes, CutePDFCreator, Corel DVD Movie Factory, Corel WinDVD, VLC Player, Chrome, FireFox, Internet Explorer, SPSS, SAS, Mathmatica, JMP and STATA via APP2GO Network Server
- Internal Wireless (instant VCU Libraries connectivity) and printing through VCU Pay-4-Print
- Standard MS Windows' assistive technology software including Accessibility Wizard, Magnifier, Narrator, Journal Viewer, On-Screen Keyboard, and Utility Manager