Tompkins-McCaw Library Group Study and Quiet Study Rooms
Group Study Rooms are located on the second floor (Rm. 2-022, 2-024, 2-025, 2-026, 2-027, 2-028, 2-029, 2-030, 2-031) of Tompkins-McCaw Library and can be accessed through Stack Level E. The Quiet Study Room is also located on the second floor (Rm. 2-001) of the Tompkins-McCaw Library next to the Library Instruction Classroom.
How to get a Study Room
- Reserve rooms online.
- You can reserve rooms for 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes at a time.
- Each member of your group can reserve a room up to 3 times each week.
- You can reserve a room up to 30 days in advance.
- You can only have up to 2 hours of reservations per day.
- Have your reservation confirmation email available (on a smart phone or a print copy) when claiming your room.
- If a room is empty, your group can use it on a first-come, first-served basis. We do recommend that groups reserve the room that they are using.
- If your group does not claim the room within 15 minutes of the scheduled reservation start time, it will be made available to others.
- Rooms are not locked, and are available whenever the library is open.
- Library staff and security guards monitor the group study rooms and are available to answer questions and assist you.
- Group study rooms are subject to all VCU and VCU Libraries policies, including Use of Library Facilities.
Who can use the Study Rooms
- Study rooms are available to groups of two or more people and to individuals with a demonstrated study or research-related need for a private room (e.g. using a tape recorder to tape notes or practice a speech). At least one group member must be a VCU student, faculty, or staff member.
- Study rooms are designed primarily to meet the study needs of VCU students.
- Groups have priority over individuals in the event all study rooms are in use. Individuals seeking a quiet place to study are encouraged to use the second floor Quiet Study Room (2-001).
Proper Use of Study Rooms
- Use of a study room implies consent to follow the policies and rules of the VCU Libraries.
- No smoking is permitted.
- Food and drink are permitted, but please dispose of trash in the proper receptacles before vacating the rooms.
- Please report any heating or cooling issues to the Service Desk staff. Do not adjust the thermostats in the rooms.
- As a courtesy to others please keep noise to a minimum.
- When leaving the room take all personal belongings. Tompkins-McCaw Library is not liable for the theft or loss of any personal items.
- If you find the room damaged or littered with trash, please report the problem to Service Desk staff.
- Please vacate group study rooms 10 minutes before building closing. VCU security guards will patrol both areas to assist with this process.
- When vacating the room please turn off the lights and leave the door open so that others will know that the room is available for use.
Quiet Study Room (2-001)
- The Quiet Study Room is an area for silent study. Those needing to collaborate should use other areas of the library.
- Two public computer workstations are available for use in the Quiet Study Room.
- Please vacate the Quiet Study Room 10 minutes before building closing. VCU security guards will patrol both areas to assist with this process.