Rules and Policies
Researchers must fill out and sign an application form once each fiscal year (July 1 to June 30), and must provide acceptable identification (driver's license or VCU id) if requested. The Researchers register must be signed daily by all researchers.
- The Reading Room and Museum areas are open to researchers, but access to all other areas is limited.
- All materials must be handled with care. Marks may neither be added nor erased; rubbing and tracing are prohibited. Loose sheets and volume pages should be handled by their edges. Please do not touch the surface of photographic prints. Cotton gloves (provided by Archives) must be worn when examining negatives. All researchers are expected to heed the instructions of the staff in the proper handling of manuscript material.
A call slip must be filled out for each collection requested to facilitate its retrieval from the stacks and to establish responsibility for its use. To assist the staff in maintaining the original order of the collections, researchers are requested to observe the following:
- Request only one collection at a time and use no more than two (2) boxes at a time.
- Use one folder from a box at a time.
- Maintain the existing order of material within each folder and box. If there is any doubt as to the order or if there is apparent damage, please bring it to the attention of the Archives staff.
- Researchers using manuscript collections may be asked to leave their coats, briefcases, bags, and other bulky items in a designated area for security reasons. Special Collections and Archives reserves the right to inspect all personal items and notes before a researcher leaves the Reading Room.
- Tape recorders, typewriters, portable computers and photographic equipment are pemitted in the Reading Room, please make advance arrangements with the staff.
- Material may not be removed from the Reading Room without permission of the staff. All photoduplication is done by the staff. The Department may set reasonable restrictions to protect fragile or damaged materials. Permission to reproduce does not constitute permission to publish.
- Permission to publish from unpublished manuscripts of published works under copyright must first be obtained from the holder of the copyright. It is the researcher's responsibility to secure that permission.
- In citing materials from manuscript collections located in this Library, the forms should be as follows (after identification of the item and title of collection): Special Collections and Archives Department, Tompkins McCaw Library, Virginia Commonwealth University.