MCV History Bibliography
Books (Institutional History)
- Blanton, Wyndham B. Medicine in Virginia in the Nineteenth Century. (Richmond: Garrett & Massie, Inc., 1933.)
- Brashear, Alton D. From Lee to Bari: The History of the Forty-fifth General Hospital, 1940-1945. (Richmond: Whittet & Shepperson, 1957.)
- Caravati, Charles M., M.D. Medicine in Richmond, 1900-1975. (Richmond: Richmond Academy of Medicine, 1975.)
- Carruth, Ricki D. A Medical College of Virginia Story. (Richmond: Virginia Commonwealth University, 1988.)
- Dabney, Virginius. Virginia Commonwealth University: A Sesquicentennial History. (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1987.)
- Geisinger, Joseph F. U.S. Army Base Hospital No. 45 in the Great War. (Richmond: William Byrd Press, 1924.)
- Lacy, Mayme W. and Pinala W. Monroe. A Historical Bulletin of the Saint Philip School of Nursiong and Alumnae Association. (Richmond: St. Philip Alumnae Association, 1978.)
- Medical College of Virginia. The First 125 Years of the Medical College of Virginia. (Richmond, Medical College of Virginia, 1963.)
- Sanger, William T. As I Remember, by William T. Sanger. (Richmond: Dietz Press, 1971.)
- Sanger, William T. Medical College of Virginia Before 1925 and The University College of Medicine 1893-1913. (Richmond: Medical College of Virginia Foundation, 1973.)
- Woodruff, Byron Lee. The University College of Medicine in Richmond, Virginia: A Study in Institutional Decline. (Thesis Ed. D.--College of William and Mary, 1986.)
- Virginia Commonwealth University. MCV/VCU School of Nursing: A Proud Heritage. (Richmond: Virginia Commonwealth University, 1992.)
Articles and Essays (MCV History, 1837-1860)
- Blanton, Wyndham B. "The Egyptian Building And Its Place In Medicine." The Bulletin of the Medical College of Virginia, v. 37 No. 4, February 15, 1940. pp.1-16.
- Haag, Harvey B. "Charles Edouard Brown-Sequard: His Richmond Sojourn." Virginia Medical Monthly, v. 86, June 1959. pp. 311-313.
- Taylor, William H. "Old Days at the Old College." Old Dominion Journal of Medicine and Surgery, v. 17, August, 1913. pp. 57-100.
Articles and Essays (MCV History, 1860-1865)
- "The Return of Southern Medical Students from Northern Medical Colleges." Maryland and Virginia Medical Journal, v. 14 No. 1, January 1860. pp. 84-87.
- Bowers, Russell V. "Civil War Days at the Medical College of Virginia." The Scarab, v. 10 No. 3, August 1961. pp. 1-4.
- Bowers, Russell V. "Our Faculty in Gray: MCV 1860-1865." The Scarab, v. 13 No. 1, February 1964. pp. 1-4.
- Cullen, Joseph P. "The Hospital On The Hill: A History of Chimborazo Hospital, Richmond, Virginia."" Unpublished, National Park Service, January 1963.
- Hassler, William W. "Dr. Hunter Holmes McGuire: Surgeon to Stonewall Jackson, the Confederacy, and the Nation." Virginia Cavalcade, v. 22 No. 2, Autumn 1982. pp.52-61.
- Johns, Frank S. and Anne Page Johns. "Chimborazo Hospital and J.B. McCaw, Surgeon in Chief." The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, v. 62 No. 2, April 1954. pp. 1-11.
Articles and Essays (MCV History, 1866-1900)
- "Legendae Medicae." The Messenger, v. 41 No. 3, July 1944. pp. 3-9.
- Bryce, C.A. "Recollections Of My Last Session At The Old Medical College of Virginia." American Journal of Clinical Medicine, v. 29, February 1922. pp. 145-148
- Dickinson, S.W. "Some Professional Recollections." The Virginia Medical Semi-Monthly, v. 21 No. 23, March 9, 1917. pp. 573-579.
- Moore, James Tice. "Battle For The Medical College: Physicians, Politicians and the Courts, 1882-1883." Virginia Cavalcade, v. 31 No. 3, Winter 1982. pp. 158-167.
- Robins, Charles R. "Beginnings in Nursing Education Under Sadie Heath Cabaniss at the Old Dominion Hospital." Medical College of Virginia Bulletin, v. 25 No. 12, February 1929. pp.3-7.