Friends of VCU Libraries Book Sale
James Branch Cabell Library, Lecture Hall (Room 303)
901 Park Avenue, Richmond, Va. 23284
The book sale offers a wide assortment of materials: paperback and hardcover novels, poetry collections, history books, biographies, scholarly studies, cook books, children's books, art books, comics, audio books, CDs, DVDs and more.
The event is free to attend and open to all, though only current Friends of VCU Libraries donors may attend the preview sale from 9 a.m. to noon on the opening day. Anyone may join the Friends by making a donation online in advance of the sale or may join at the door by check on the day of the preview sale.
Parking is available for a fee in the West Broad Street, West Main Street and West Cary Street parking decks. For special accommodations, please contact the VCU Libraries Development Office at (804) 827-3616 at least two days prior to attending.
|Thursday, Oct. 26||9 a.m.–noon||Preview sale for Friends of VCU Libraries members|
|noon–7 p.m.||Sale opens to the public|
|Friday, Oct. 27||9 a.m.–5 p.m.|
|Saturday, Oct. 28||10 a.m.–6 p.m.|
|Sunday, Oct. 29||10 a.m.–6 p.m.|
|Monday, Oct. 30||9 a.m.–7 p.m.||Discount day|
Proceeds from the Friends of VCU Libraries and Emerging Leaders Program (ELP) Book Sale help fund VCU Libraries' collections, programs and lectures, as well ELP volunteer service projects in the community. Thank you for your generosity.
- The preview sale is for active Friends of VCU Libraries members only. Memberships are available at the door for $100. Annual membership with the Friends of VCU Libraries gains you access to library borrowing privileges for personal use, as well as special invitations to Friends-sponsored events. You must present your current Friends donor card for admission to the preview sale. Everyone at the preview sale must have his or her own donor card.
- To enter the preview sale, you must line up in the designated area outside the lecture hall. You must be present in the line to hold your place and cannot use a box, coat or other object as a placeholder. At 9 a.m., a volunteer will begin checking Friends donor cards and allowing entrance.
- You may not use scanners and other hand-held devices to check the barcodes and values of donated materials during the preview sale.
- You may not remove books from the shelves and put them aside to sort through them. If you form a pile of books, fill a box with books, cover books with a blanket or in some other way stake claim to items in a way that discourages other shoppers from looking through books, we will consider the books yours and expect you to pay for them.
- You may not block the aisles with piles of books, boxes, blankets, etc.
- You may not remove books from the sale area until they have been purchased.
- Reusable VCU Libraries tote bags will be available for sale at the register. A limited supply of boxes may also be available. You are welcome and encouraged to bring your own boxes/bags.
- Payment can be made by credit card, cash or a personal check. For personal checks, you must show a photo ID.
- You will be responsible for transporting purchased materials out of the library. On-street loading area is accessible where Grove and Park Avenues intersect, just before the Linden Street side of Cabell Library.
- Library computers are for use by VCU students, faculty and staff.
Image: Mac MacDaniel, Model, photographed by Jay Paul. Original tattoo.