Donate books and other materials
Books and other materials are often donated to VCU Libraries. Sometimes, donated materials are selected for inclusion in library collections but most donated materials go to the Annual Friends of VCU Libraries Book Sale. This sale is staffed by dedicated Friends of VCU Libraries volunteers and students from VCU’s Emerging Leaders program. The sale generates much needed income to purchase new resources for VCU Libraries and to support Friends of VCU Libraries events. Please consider donating your books and joining the Friends today.
What materials can be donated?
- Hardback and paperback fiction and non-fiction, art books, cookbooks, etc.
- Comic books and graphic novels
- Audiobooks in any format
- Movie DVDs and music CDs and LPs
Other items are often accepted for donation, so please ask.
What materials cannot be donated?
- Materials in very poor condition
- Textbooks older than three years
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books
- Encyclopedia sets
- Individual issues of popular magazines or journals
- Training manuals or notebooks
- Computer software and manuals
- VHS and audio cassette tapes
What materials might go into the library collections?
- Publications by current VCU faculty
- Virginia- or Richmond-specific history books and sound and video recordings
- Comic books, graphic novels and other comics-related materials
- Pieces of book art
- Books on the health sciences
- University- and society-press titles
- A large collection on a particular topic or by a particular author
- Rare books, first editions or signed books
- Important historic single issues of newspapers, magazine and journals
How to donate:
- Make an appointment to deliver your materials to us by contacting Antonia Vassar, Director of Stewardship and Volunteer Engagement, at (804) 827-1165 or LibDevelop@vcu.edu.
- Print and complete our donation form. It should be submitted with your materials. The form will allow us to process your donation and to send you a thank-you letter.
- Check through your materials before delivering them, and remove inscriptions, names or other identifying or confidential material.
Please note all donated materials become the property of VCU. Materials cannot be returned to their donors.