New Building Fund
The New Library Fund will support the needs of researchers and innovation in scholarship while also providing enhanced space for study and collaboration. Named spaces are available at every giving level. We gratefully accept unrestricted gifts and pledges in any amount and also invite you to consider our Seat-a-Student option.
See more about the need for a new library building and see details on new spaces and floor maps
- The $4-million investment in the New Library Fund supports areas of need that exceed the public funding for the building:
- $2.25 million for enhanced-technology in areas such as The Workshop, which houses innovative media, the Lecture Hall, and the Vitrine display wall
- $1.75 million for furnishings and finishes that provide harmony between the new space and existing portions of the building
Enhanced Technology and Furnishings
- The glass-fronted, towering entrance faces Shafer Court. A dramatic and unique feature will be a large-scale (19 feet by 23 feet wide) display wall (Vitrine). VCU's vitrine is inspired by the common definition of the word: a glass display case or cabinet for works of art and curios. This vitrine will be seen clearly day or night from as far away as Broad Street and Monroe Park as people approach campus center via Shafer-Linden-Cathedral walkways.
- The 300-seat media-rich Lecture Hall serves the some 8,000 plus Central Virginians who attend events every year.
- The Workshop, home to the Innovative Media department, is now the university's center for the creative communication of ideas and experimentation in the digital environment. The Workshop supports media-enabled storytelling, scholarship, exploration and visualization of data and learning for all disciplines and at all levels across the VCU community. The space offers creation suites, expert instruction and services designed for making multimedia magic.
- Of the 155,000 new or redesigned square feet, 90 percent is dedicated to space for students and faculty.
To learn more about these giving opportunities, please contact:
Kelly J. Gotschalk
Director of Development and Major Gifts
email@example.com (804) 827-1163
Please note: All checks should be made payable to "VCU Foundation" with the particular fund (ex. "Campaign for VCU Libraries," "Friends of VCU Libraries," etc.) written on the memo line.