Make the old new again in a contest that mixes archival materials with digital tools
September 21, 2016
Make the old new again in a contest that mixes archival materials with digital tools.
REMIX | Art from the Archives is open to participants who repurpose selected items and images from Virginia cultural heritage collections. The inaugural contest is organized by the Virginia Caucus of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference in celebration of October’s American Archives Month. The organizers envision redaction poetry, GIFs, collages, coloring pages, memes and other digital interventions--all ways to remix.
To enter REMIX| Art from the Archives, participants must use materials from the Virginia Archives Month 2016 Flickr album, which includes some VCU Libraries items. Reimagine or reinterpret the provided source material through your personal artistic lens.
- Enter up to three submissions.
- The deadline is Oct. 14.
- Submissions will only be accepted digitally; submit here.
- Entries will be judged on creativity and originality of entry. All entries must use at least one image from the Virginia Archives Month 2016 Flickr album in a way integral to the work.
- A panel of artists and creatives will judge the contest. They will choose one winner and three runners-up. The submission with the most Tumblr notes will receive a People’s Choice Award.
- Details and Prizes
- Suggested Resources: Meme generators, embroidery effects, making GIFs and more
Image: Frontispiece from De Morbis acutis et Chronicis by Caelius Aurelianus. Part of the Flax collection at VCU Libraries, Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences, Special Collections and Archives