Fall Update: Masks required, food and drink again OK and in-person events resumeAugust 20, 2021
After months of various COVID-19 safety restrictions, VCU Libraries buildings on both campuses are now open to all. Friends of VCU Libraries, registered VCU alumni, individuals affiliated with other academic institutions and members of the general public engaged in academic pursuit or who are attending a VCU Libraries event are welcome.
Library users should take note of these new rules and updates:
- Everyone must wear masks in all library spaces, including study rooms and studio space unless they are actively eating or drinking or in a room alone . Studies show that masking effectively reduces the spread of viruses and, combined with COVID-19 vaccination, can greatly reduce the transmission of COVID-19.
- The temporary ban on food and drink in the libraries has been lifted, but library users must wear a mask anytime they are not actively eating or drinking. “Actively eating or drinking” is defined as putting food or drink in your mouth at the moment, not having a closed bottle, piece of fruit or closed food container in front of you.
- When eating/drinking and briefly removing masks, observe social distancing if possible in consideration of others.
- Masks are required in study rooms and studio spaces, unless a person is alone in the room.
- In-person events will resume in library spaces and many events will also be offered live online. Masks are required for all in-person events. In-person events may be subject to additional public health restrictions.
- The Entry Pass system is no longer in use at VCU Libraries.
- Orientations to The Workshop’s audio and video studios and select makerspace equipment will be available again starting Tuesday, September 7. Workstations, equipment loan, the gaming/VR studio, and open makerspace equipment are currently available to all.
- Special Collections and Archives will offer a combination of walk-in hours and in-person appointments.
- For building and services hours, visit this web page or check the banner on the top of the libraries home page that reads "Today's Hours."
VCU requires that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated.
Refer to the VCU Libraries website for further updates related to public health and COVID-19 restrictions.< Previous Next >