VCU Libraries seeks feedback on upcoming journal cancellations by Aug. 4April 24, 2023
In light of recent and anticipated reductions in funding, VCU Libraries plans to discontinue the Springer journal package and begin subscribing to individual titles in 2024.
Cuts will be limited to Springer titles only. Current subscriptions to the highly-used Nature and Adis titles and Scientific American will continue.
Collections librarians have made a thorough analysis of use of Springer titles and have compiled a list of lesser-used titles.
VCU Libraries now asks members of the VCU community to offer feedback about specific journals using this form. The timing for decision-making about which journals to retain is tight. Aug. 4 is the deadline for feedback. The timeline for decision-making is as follows.
- The list of proposed cancellations is posted on the libraries website April 24-Aug. 4, 2023.
- A comment form is open for feedback on each title. Comments are needed no later than Aug. 4.
- VCU Libraries collections librarians and libraries leadership will review all comments and make revisions to the planned list of cancellations during the contract negotiation process.
- The final list of cancellations will be posted on the VCU Libraries website after the subscriptions have been processed, by Nov. 30, 2023.
- Cancellations go into effect Dec. 31, 2023.
- If a journal is unsubscribed, librarians will provide alternative means of access to ensure faculty and students get the resources they need for research, clinical care and teaching.
If you have questions, contact Head of Collection Analysis and Investment Karen Cary (email@example.com).
< Previous Next >