Interim Director and Head, Collection Management, VCUQatar
VCUQatar Library, Room 106-Q
A long way from her native California, Amy Andres now makes her home in Doha where she serves as the Director of Libraries at Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar. She received a BA in Art and Design and a MA in Art History from California State University, Fresno. She also has an MLS from University College London and is currently undertaking a doctoral degree at University of Reading, Henley School of Business. Amy’s current research interest focuses on professional identity and institutional effectiveness within higher education.
- Candidate: Ph.D. Business Administration, Henley School of Business
- Dissertation topic (working): Perception and professional identity of academic library administrators
- M.L.I.S. Library and Information Studies, University College London, 2000
- M.A. Art History, California State University-Fresno, 1998
- B.A. Art and Design, California State University-Fresno, 1991
Previous professional experience
- Director of Libraries, VCU, Qatar, July 2016 – present
- Interim Director of Libraries, VCU, Qatar, February 2015 – June 2016
- Head of Collection Management, VCU, Qatar, August 2013 – January 2015
- Director of Libraries, Learning Resource Center, College of the Sequoias, 2012 –2013
- Research Librarian, Higher Colleges of Technology, 2011 – 2012
- Library Manager, Center for Medical Education and Research, University of California-San Francisco, 2006-2011
- Head of Library Instructional Services and Outreach Services, California State University, Stanislaus, 2002 – 2006
- Assistant Librarian, California State University-Fresno, 2000-2002
- Library Assistant, British Library, 1999-2000
- Library Assistant, Chelsea College of Art and Design, 1999-2000
- College of the Sequoias
- Art 001: Art Appreciation
- Art History002: Prehistory-Gothic
- Art History 003: Renaissance-Contemporary
- LIBR 101: College Research Strategies
- LIBR 102: Information Resources
- State Center College District
- Art 2: Art Appreciation
- Art 3: 2-Dimensional Art and Design
- Art History 5: Prehistory-Gothic
- Art History 6: Renaissance-Contemporary
- California State University-Stanislaus
- Art History 2525: Pre-Columbian Mesoamerica
- HONS 3500: Information Literacy
- MDIS 1200: Information Literacy
- Himsworth, R., Andres, A., Weber, A., & Scott, S. (2016). Art and medicine: A collaborative project between Virginia Commonwealth University, Qatar and Weill Cornell Medicine, Qatar [course and exhibition catalog]. Virginia Commonwealth University: Doha, Qatar.
- Andres, A. (2014). From Leipzig to London: The life and work of the émigré artist Hellmuth Weissenborn [book review]. Information and Culture: A Journal of History.
- Clay, J. & Andres, A. (2013). What is the best ambulatory treatment for a patient with acute prostatitis? Clinical query: 5403. Family Physicians Inquiries Network.
- Wilbert, B., Muhundro, B.L., Shaw, V., Andres, A. (2011). Appetite suppressants as adjuncts for weight loss. American Family Physician, 83(7), 1-2.
- Dinscore, A. & Andres, A. (2010). Surgical videos online: A survey of prominent sources and future trends. Medical Reference Services Quarterly, 29(1), 10-27.
- Andres, A. (2006). Review of: Greek civilization through the eyes of travellers and scholars: The library of Dimitris Contominas. Libraries & the Cultural Record, 41(4), 523-524.
- Young, N. & Andres, A. (2006). From small step to giant leap in research ability. Academic Exchange Quarterly, 9(2), 104-108.
- Andres, A. (2005). Visual creativity and brain lateralization: An annotated bibliography. Leonardo: Art, Science, and Technology, 37(1).
- Andres, A. (2004). Infinite variety: Exploring the Folger Shakespeare Library [book review]. Libraries & Culture, 39(3), 330-332.
- Weber, A., Andres, A., Himsworth, R., Scott, S., Hwang, M., Turjoman, R., Malick, F. (2016). Art and Medicine Student Interdisciplinary Learning in the Middle East. International Conference on Communication in Healthcare. Heidelberg, Germany, September 7-10, 2016.
- Andres, A. (2016, July). Perception and Identity: An Exploratory Study of the Relationship Between University Administrators and University Librarians in Tier1 Institutions. Presentation at the University of Reading Annual Research Colloquium. Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom.
- Andres, A. (2016, February). STEAM curriculum in an Islamic context: A case study from Qatar. Paper (and panel participant) at Liberal Arts International Conference (Texas A&M). Doha, Qatar.
- Weber, A., Scott, S., Andres, A., Himsworth, R. (December 2015). An art and medicine experiential learning laboratory in the Middle East to measure interdisciplinary problem-solving. Malta Medical School Conference. Malta.
- Andres, A. (2015, March). Art + medicine + library: Enhancing student creativity through interdisciplinary collaboration. Poster session presented at the Association for College and Research Libraries Annual Conference. Portland, Oregon.
- Andres, A. (2015, March). The case study of an arts librarian in a medical school. Poster session presented at the Art Libraries Society of North American Annual conference. Fort Worth, Texas.
- Andres, A. (2014, May). Not guilty by reason of insanity: Monomania, creativity, and the art of Jonathan Martin. Presentation for The Visual Image, Medical Humanities Conference, Galveston, Texas.
- Andres, A. (2014, March). Does the picture speak for itself? The documentary versus the aesthetic nature of Victorian medical photography. Presentation to the Qatar Faculty Forum at Carnegie Mellon University, Doha, Qatar.
- Andres, A. (2011, September). Evidence-based medicine from the Epic EHR in 5 minutes or less: An implementation plan for integration. Invited presentation for the medical librarians of the Library Association of the University of California Annual Meeting, Irvine, California.
- Newell, P., & Andres, A. (2011, February). Copyright and social media: Considerations for librarians. Presentation at the Heartland Regional Library Network. Visalia, California.
- Andres, A. (2010, August). Why not Google it? Improved use of Google for clinical inquiries. Invited presentation for the Library Association of the University of California Annual Meeting. Davis, California.
- Wilson, E., & Andres, A. (2009, February). Risk of injury in the peasant paintings of Jean-François Millet. Presentation at the Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Andres, A. (2008, September). GI treatments represented in the medical manuscripts of Rajah Serfoji II. Invited presentation to the Valley Gut Club, University of San Francisco-Fresno. Fresno, California.
- Andres, A. (2008). Cranial trepanation: A historical and cultural overview. Poster session presented at the Joint Meeting of the Northern California Medical Library Group and the Medical Library Group of Southern California and Arizona.
- Distinguished Faculty Service Award, VCU, Qatar, 2015
- Exceptional Service Award (Bear Award), UC San Francisco-Fresno, 2009
- International Professional Development Scholarship to Mexico, CSU Stanislaus, 2005
- Research, Scholarships, & Creative Activities Grant, CSU Stanislaus, 2003
- Study Grant to Armenia, American University of Armenia, Papazian Library, 2001
- Outstanding Thesis Award, California State University, Fresno, 1999
- Group Study Exchange Award to India, Rotary Foundation, 1999
- Scholarship Recipient, American Association of University Women, 1998
- Academy of Health Information Professionals
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Art Libraries Society of North America
- Librarians Without Borders
- Medical Library Association
- Teachers of English Speakers to Other Languages
- History of medicine
- Medical humanities
- Representation/symbolism of illness and medicine in art
- Intersection of art and science
- Academic library directors (roles, characteristics, perceived institutional effectiveness)