Nita L. Bryant
Behavioral and Social Sciences Research Librarian
Research and Learning, Academic Outreach
James Branch Cabell Library, Room 121R
- Ph.D. Sociology, University of Virginia, 1998
- M.S. Sociology, VCU, 1993
- B.S. Sociology and Anthropology, VCU, 1991
Previous professional experience
- Assistant Professor, Sociology, VCU, 2000-2005
- Graduate Director, Sociology, VCU, 2000-2003
- Affiliate Faculty, School of Education Associates, VCU, 1996-2008; 2012-2014
- Instructor, Department of Sociology, VCU, 1993-2000
- Open Access Module, HON 399
- Social Problems, SOCY 302
- Urban Sociology, SOCY 327
- Urban Poverty, AAS 391
- Theories of Social Change (WI) SOCY 402
- Sociology of Education, SOCY 450
- Contemporary Sociological Theory, SOCY 502
- Studies in Community Research Practicum, SOCY 602
- Theories of Social and Institutional Change, SOCY 650
- Secret, M, Bryant, N. & Cummings, C. (2017). Teaching an Interdisciplinary Graduate Level Methods Course in an Openly-networked Connected Learning Environment: A Glass half full. Journal of Educators Online. Volume 14 (2).
- Arendt J, Bryant N, Kendler KS, Dick DM, Adkins A. 2016. From saliva samples to the classroom and beyond: What college students are telling us about genetic and environmental influences on substance use and emotional health. Substance Abuse Library and Information Studies Volume III, Issue I. Pg. 4-10
- Bryant, N. (2015) Navigating Access to Addictions Literature: The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Experience. In el-Guebaly N, Carrà G, Galanter M (Eds) Textbook of Addiction Treatment: International Perspectives, pp 2439-2450 Springer Reference.
- Bryant, N. & Cyrus, J. (2017) Open for Comments: Information literacy competencies for addiction studies. SALIS / AMHL Meeting. Worcester, Mass.
- Bryant, N. (2015) The University Library of the Future: An international perspective. Barr Smith Library, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, AU. Guest speaker.
- Cyrus, J. & Bryant, N. (2015) Establishing an Information Infrastructure for an International Online Collaborative Degree Program. MLA Annual Meeting. Paper presentation. Austin, TX.
- Bryant, N. (2014) Engaging Undergraduates in Open Access: A Critical Information Literacy Module ACRL/NY Annual Symposium poster session.
- Bryant, N. (2014). Developing international information competency standards for the addictions field. Poster presentation at National Institute of Drug Abuse International Forum, San Juan, PR.
- Bryant, N. (2013). Open Access, Grey Literature and Google: Building a bridge from research to practice. Substance Abuse Librarians and Information Specialists' Annual Conference, Berkeley, CA.
- Brady, K, Bryant, N. (May, 2012). Collaborating across Campuses and Continents: Welcome to the future! LOEX Conference, Columbus, Ohio.
- Bryant, N., Brady, K. (June, 2012). An Open Access Research Guide to Drug and Alcohol Studies: Supporting information needs in developing nations. Guest speaker and poster presentation at the NIDA International Forum, Palm Springs, CA.
- Bryant, N. and Cyrus, J. Quest Global Impact Award 2014. VCU Global Education Office.
Selected university service
- Institutional Review Board
- University Council
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Substance Abuse Librarians and Information Specialists