Director, Research Data Management
Tompkins-McCaw Library, Room 144-E
- Graduate Certificate in Biomedical Informatics, Oregon Health and Sciences University, 2012
- M.L.I.S. Library and Information Science, University of Western Ontario, 1986
- B.Sc. Hons. Ecology and Evolution, University of Western Ontario, 1984
Previous Professional Experience
- Research and Education Librarian (part-time), Tompkins-McCaw Library, VCU, 2007-2013
- Library Specialist, Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, VCU, 2006-2013
- Librarian Consultant, Bon Secours Richmond Health System, 2004-2009
- Librarian Consultant, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Library, 2000-2007
- Director of Libraries and Archives, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1992-1999
- Education Manager, DNA Learning Center, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1990-1992
- Research Data Management
- Scientific Writing and Grantsmanship
- Evidence-Based Medicine for Ob/Gyn Clerkship students
- Resources for Internal Medicine Residents
- Genetics Resources lectures for biology and medicine students
- Basic and Advanced PubMed
- Henderson, Margaret E.; Arendt, Julie; Roseberry, Martha; Cyrus, John; and Gau, Karen. (2015) “Collaborating to Improve Collaboration: Informationist Team Support for an Interdisciplinary Research Group.” Poster presented ACRL (Association of College & Research Libraries) Science & Technology Section Annual Program; American Library Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Henderson, Margaret E.; Crum, Janet A.; Fatkin, Kathy J.; Gagnon, Marie-Marthe; Nguyen, Tony; Taylor, Madeleine; and Vrabel, Mark. (2015) “Do Health Sciences Libraries and Librarians Have an Impact on the Cost of Health Care and Research? A Systematic Review.” Poster presented at Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Austin, TX, 2015.
- Henderson, Margaret E. (2015) “Virginia Data Management Bootcamp: A Collaborative Initiative in Data Education.” Poster presented at the 7th Annual University of Massachusetts and New England Area Librarian e-Science Symposium.
- Henderson, M. (2014) Library Connect, Rise of the Databrarian webinar. Invited presenter. Thursday, October 16. http://libraryconnect.elsevier.com/now-available-rise-databrarian-webinar-slides-and-resources
- Henderson, M.E. (2013) “Searching Patient Data: A Role for Librarians in the Improvement of Healthcare.” Paper presented at the MLA Annual Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Henderson, M.E. (2012). Librarians connecting EHR data. Paper presented at the MLA Quad Chapter Meeting, Baltimore, MD.
- Henderson, M. (2010). Do we need third-party PubMed/MEDLINE tools? Lightning poster at Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association.
- ORCID ID orcid.org/0000-0001-6578-1766
- Henderson, Margaret. (2015) “Embroidering a Wedding Jacket for Pocahontas.” NeedleArts. 46(2) June:4-9.
- Henderson, ME and Knott, TL. (2015) “Starting a Research Data Management Program Based in a University Library.” Medical Reference Services Quarterly, 34(1):47-59.
- Henderson, Margaret; Raboin, Regina; Shorish, Yasmeen; and Van Tuyl, Steve. (2014) “Research Data Management on a Shoestring Budget.” ASIS&T Bulletin, 40(6)
- Henderson, Margaret. “New Roles and New Horizons for Health Sciences Librarians and Libraries.” Chapter 16. In M.S. Wood (Ed.) Health Sciences Librarianship. Chicago: Rowman & Littlefield and the Medical Library Association, 2014.
- Brady, K., Brown, R., Johnson, E., Jones, S., Henderson, M., Ladd, D., et al. (2012). Profiles in science for science librarians: John Bennett Fenn. Science & Technology Libraries, 31, 46-63.
- Henderson, M. (2011). Internet resources: Personalized medicine. MLA News, 51(3), 8.
- Henderson, M. (2011). Tropical Medicine and Regenerative Medicine sections. In L. L. Thompson (Ed.), The medical library association's mater guide to authoritative information resources in health sciences. New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc.
- Lubker, I.M., Henderson, M.E., Canevari, C.S., Wright, B.A. (2010). Refocusing reference services outside the library building: One library's experience. Medical Reference Services Quarterly, 29(3), 218-228. doi:10.1080/02763869.2010.494478
Selected University Service
- Community Engagement Data Task Force (2015 - )
- VCU Libraries Peer Review Committee (2015 - 2018)
- SOM Information Technology Advisory Committee (2010 - )
- VCU Data and Information Management Council (Oct. 2013- Aug. 2014)
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- American Library Association
- Association for Information Science and Technology
- Medical Library Association
- Continuing Education Committee
- Molecular Biology and Genomics Special Interest Group, Convener
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the MLA
- Research and Assessment Committee, 2009-12
- Science Fair Judge, Metro Richmond STEM Fair, sponsored by the Math Science Innovation Center
- Organizer and stitcher for the Agecroft Hall Coif project. Gentle Pursuits of Richmond chapter of the Embroidery Guild of America.