Community Health Education Center Librarian
Tompkins-McCaw Library, Research and Education
Community Health Education Center, Gateway Building Ground Floor
- Ph.D., Social and Behavioral Health, School of Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2016. Dissertation: The Information Needs and Sources of Patients Diagnosed with Rare Cancers
- S.L.I.S. Specialist in Library and Information Science, University of South Carolina, 2007
- M.S. Information Science, University of Tennessee, 2000
- B.A. History, College of William and Mary, 1994
Previous professional experience
- Electronic Resources Librarian II, Williamsburg Regional Library, 2004-2006
- Adult Services Librarian I, Williamsburg Regional Library, 2001-2004
- Assistant Branch Manager, Jefferson Madison Regional Library, 2001
- Health and Human Performance Community Health Education Internship Site Supervisor, VCU
- Multicultural Health Resources: Finding Spanish Language Consumer Health Information, VCU
- Providing Health Information to Patients: An Elective for Fourth Year Medical Students, VCU
- Pulling it All Together: Finding Consumer Health Information, VCU
- Ladd D. (2017). What Patients Need to Know: Information Needs and Sources of Patients with Rare Cancers. In: Raghavan D, ed. Textbook of Uncommon Cancer. 5th ed. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Ladd D. and Barker S (2017). Dogs on Call in a Patient Library. Journal of Hospital Librarianship. February.
- Ladd. D., Lubker I., Mack T., (2017). Collaboration and Partnership Provide Summer Library Programs for Middle School Students. Journal of Hospital Librarianship.
- Ladd D. (2016). Health and Wellness Programs in a Patient Library: Program Development and Brief Assessment. Journal of Hospital Librarianship. July/August.
- Ladd D. (2015). Patients with Rare Diseases’ General and Health Information Challenges: The Importance of Health Information Provision and Websites for Locating Rare Disease Resources. Journal of Hospital Librarianship, 15(2), 189-197. doi:10.1080/15323269.2015.1014762.
- Ladd, D. & Altshuler, A. (2013). Medical Library Association guide to finding out about diabetes: The best print and electronic sources. Neal-Schuman Publishers.
- Brady, K., Brown, R., Johnson, E., Jones, S., Henderson, M., Ladd, D., Lubker, I., McDaniel, J. (2012). Profiles in science for science librarians: John Bennett Fenn. Science & Technology in Libraries, 31(1).
- Ladd, D. & Amick, S. (2011). Building relationships through monthly health and wellness presentations. Presented at MLA Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN.
- Ladd, D. & Amick, S. (2010). Building relationships through monthly health and wellness presentations. Presented at MAC/MLA Annual Meeting, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Ladd, D. & Jones, S. (2009). Developing a consumer health library orientation and class for library interns and volunteers. Poster presented at Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Honolulu, HI.
- Jones, S. & Ladd, D. (2009). iFusions: Integrating a consumer health library into the academic medical center community. Poster presented at Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Honolulu, HI.
- Ladd, D. & Leisey, M. (2008). CHEC at five: History, lessons and challenges of opening and operating a consumer health library. Presented at MAC/MLA Meeting, Morgantown, WV.
Selected university service
- VCU Libraries Peer Review Committee
- VCU Health System Health Literacy Task Force
- Community Health Education Center Advisory Committee, Co-chair
- Community Health Education Center Steering Committee
- Interdisciplinary Patient Education Committee
- Medical Library Association, Mid-Atlantic Chapter
- American Library Association
Collection management subject areas
- Consumer health
- Consumer health; health literacy