Teaching and Learning Librarian
Research and Learning, Teaching, Learning, and Information
James Branch Cabell Library, Room 121-B
- M.S. Library Science, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2010
- B.A. Anthropology, University of Mary Washington, 2008
Previous professional experience
- Reference and Instruction Librarian, Doris and Harry Vise Library, Cumberland University, 2010-2012
- Reference and Instruction Graduate Assistant, R.B. House Undergraduate Library, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2009-2010
- Reference Graduate Assistant, Walter Royal Davis Library, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2008-2010
- Graduate Research Consultant, Office of Undergraduate Research, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 2009
- McCaskill, R. A. and Stout, J.A. (2017). The library steeplechase: A new breed of library tour at VCU. Presented at LOEX conference in Lexington, KY.
- Stout, J.A. and Coghill, D.E. (2016). Creating meaningful connections: Student advisory groups in your library. Presented at the Personal Librarian and First Year Experience Conference in Cleveland, OH.
- Stout, J.A. and Fortney, T.W. (2016). Faculty-librarian partnerships in the classroom. Presented at the Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy in Blacksburg, VA.
- Stout, J.A. (2015). From Books to MOOCs: On Becoming the Course Librarian for a Massive Open Online Course. Lightning talk presented at LOEX conference in Denver, CO.
- Stout, J.A. and Gariepy, L.W. (2014). Using Rubrics to Assess Authentic Learning Products from One-Shot, Course-Integrated Library Instruction. Presented at the Georgia International Conference on Information Literacy in Savannah, GA.
- Stout, J. (2013). The second chapter: How VCU Libraries supports sophomores through information literacy instruction, assessment, and faculty partnership. Presented at the National Conference on Students in Transition, Atlanta, GA.
- Coghill, D.E., Stout, J.A., and McCaskill, R.A. (2017). How was your meal? Post-instruction assessment of FY classes. In Pun, R. and Houlihan, M. (Eds.), First Year Experience Library Cookbook.
- Hodge, M.L., Gariepy, L.W., and Stout, J.A. Accepted. Rubrics as a method of assessing improving library instruction. In Dobbs, A.W. (Ed.), Library Assessment Cookbook.
- Gariepy, L.W., Stout, J.A., and Hodge, M.L. (2016) Using rubrics to assess learning in course-integrated library instruction. portal: Libraries and the Academy, 16(3), 491-509.
Selected university service
- UNIV 111/112/200 Curriculum Committee, 2012-present
- Information Fluency Committee. 2012-present
- VCU Common Book Committee, 2015-present
Selected VCU Libraries service
- Librarian Position Description Committee, 2017-present
- VCU Libraries Diversity Committee, 2016-present
- Chair, 2018-2019
- Professional Development Committee
- Chair, 2014-2016
- LibQual+ Survey Committee, 2013
- LibGuides Review Group, 2013
- Beta Phi Mu (International Library and Information Studies Honor Society), 2011-present
- American Library Association, 2010-present
- New Members Round Table, 2010-2016
- Shirley Olofson Memorial Award Committee, 2014-2016
- Chair, 2015-2016
- Association of College and Research Libraries, 2014-present
- Instruction Section, 2014-present
- University Libraries Section, 2014-present
- ACRL UL section professional development award committee, 2016-2018
- Virginia Library Association, 2016-present
- VLA New Members Round Table, 2016-2018
- Conference Director, 2015-2016
- Library instruction and pedagogy; diversity, inclusion, and social justice in libraries; assessment; information literacy