James Branch Cabell Library, Room 314-C
- M.S. Library Science, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 1981
- B.A. Religious Studies, University of Virginia, 1976
Previous professional experience
- Associate Director for Information Technology, North Carolina State University Libraries, 1989-1999
- Head of Library Systems, North Carolina State University Libraries, 1986-1989
- Systems Manager, College of William and Mary, 1984-1986
- Systems Librarian, National Library of Medicine, 1982-1984
- Library Associate, National Library of Medicine, 1981-1982
- Ulmschneider, J. (2016). Finding Common Ground: Schools, Censorship, and Legislative Advocacy. Presenter and panel moderator at Virginia Library Association Annual Conference, Hot Springs, VA.
- Ulmschneider, J. (2016). A Library Transformed. Presented for Showcasing New Library Spaces II at Designing Libraries for the 21st Century, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- Ulmschneider, J. (2013). Libraries, MOOCs, and the State of Online Education. Presented at Virginia Library Association Annual Conference, Williamsburg, VA.
- Ulmschneider, J. (2013). Advocacy: Boots On The Ground. Presented at Virginia Library Association Annual Conference, Williamsburg, VA.
- Ulmschneider, J. (2012). Exceptions To Every Rule: Managing The Ongoing Migration To E-Books And Streaming Media. Presenter and panel moderator at Virginia Library Association Annual Meeting, Williamsburg, VA.
- Ulmschneider, J. (2012). Library Advocacy Strategy in Virginia. Presented at Virginia Library Association Annual Meeting, Williamsburg, VA.
- Ulmschneider, J. (2012). Library Advocacy: Is Legislative Support For Libraries Really The Goal?. Presented at Mid-Atlantic Library Alliance Spring Meeting, Roanoke, VA.
- Ulmschneider, J. (2012). Crowd-sourcing historic documents: the Prince Edward County photographs. Presented at The Virginia Forum, Harrisonburg, VA.
Selected publications and reports
- Ulmschneider, J., Wiegand, W. (2015, October 17). Why Americans love their libraries. Richmond Times-Dispatch.
- Ulmschneider, J. (2010, September 20). VCU Celebrates Levis Collection. Richmond Times-Dispatch.
- Ulmschneider, J. (1996). Integrated electronic document delivery: Linchpin for campus information systems. EDUCOM Review, 27.
- Coats, M., Gilreath, C., Hewitt, J., Ulmschneider, J. (1994). Use of a general concept paper as RFP for a library system: a new model for library system procurement. In J. Hewitt (Eds), Advances in Library Automation and Networking, 5, 177-202.
- Ulmschneider, J. (1994). A model automated document delivery system for research libraries. Advances in Library Administration and Organization, 12, 161-165.
- Ulmschneider, J. (1994). New technologies, interlibrary loan, and commercial services: a symposium on the design and features of electronic document delivery systems. Advances in Library Administration and Organization, 12, 239-252.
- Doszkocs, T. & Ulmschneider, J. (1983). A practical stemming algorithm for online search assistance. Online Review 7(4), 301-318.
- Desper, J., Dillon, M. & Ulmschneider, J. (1983). A prevalence formula for automatic relevance feedback in Boolean systems. Information Processing and Management, 19(1).
- Dillon, M., Knight, R., Lospinuso, M., Ulmschneider, J. (1981). The use of automatic indexing for authority control. Journal of Library Automation 14(4), 268-277.
Selected university service
- Council of Deans
- University Council (ex officio)
- Co-chair, search committee for Dean, School of the Arts, 2017
- SACS Reaffirmation Coordination Committee, January 2012-June 2014
- University Administrative and Professional Faculty Task Force to redefine faculty roles, February 2014-January 2015
- VCU Strategic Plan Task Force for Online Education, January – June 2013
- Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC) Steering Committee, 2014-2017
- Virginia Library Association Legislative Committee, co-chair, Sept. 2011 – Dec. 2016; member June 2009 – present
- State Council of Higher Education Library Advisory Committee Advocacy Task Force, 2003 – present
- Virtual Library of Virginia (VIVA) Steering Committee, permanent member
- Richmond Academic Library Consortium (RALC) Board of Directors, permanent member
- Richmond Public Library Board of Trustees, Chair, July 2006 – June 2008; member July 2003 – June 2012
- Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL), President June 2010 – June 2011; President-elect, ASERL, June 2009-June 2010; Past-President and Board of Directors member, 2011-12; Chair, Nominating Committee, 2004-2007; Board of Directors, May 2001 – May 2003.
- Member, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges On-Site Reaffirmation Team: Six institutional reviews from May 2005 through March 2011; one off-site review session, November 2009, Atlanta, GA