Strategic framework, mission, values
Mission and vision
The VCU Libraries transforms our communities by enriching scholarship, learning, and clinical care through our teaching, our collections, and our leadership.
Strategic framework 2014-2017:
Creating the 21st century research library at VCU
A great university is built upon a great library. From its very beginning, VCU's strategic plan Quest for Distinction identified the development of a top-tier research library system as foundational to the mission, goals, and ambitions of the university. The VCU Libraries' strategic framework identifies the essential elements of the 21st century research library at VCU and charts a path forward over the next three years to creating one of North America's most vibrant academic research libraries. VCU's libraries continue to accelerate the university's success with teaching, collections, and leadership that demonstrate the power of libraries to transform and advance the communities they serve in the 21st century.
As members of the VCU Libraries Staff, we place the VCU community and all it stands for at the forefront of everything we do. We affirm that a great university is built upon a great library, and we commit ourselves to
- engage our communities and evolve to meet their needs
- promote, inspire, and support intellectual curiosity and lifelong discovery
- seek new technologies and methods for our communities to convey their discoveries to the world
- protect unrestricted access to scholarly research, creative expression, and ideas representing all points of view
- foster the open exchange of ideas and celebrate the richness of an environment shaped by many voices
- embrace creativity, agility, and energy in all our work
- adhere to the highest ethical standards, cultivate transparency, and safeguard privacy
- be accountable to each other and to our communities for all we do.