Access to books and library materials
There are many ways to access libraries' materials, including physical materials, without entering our buildings. We now offer Front Door Pickup at of physical libraries' materials, and we continue to provide access to many e-books and online resources.
Front Door Pickup and expanded delivery service
VCU faculty, staff and currently enrolled students may now request books, DVDs and other physical items from Cabell Library, Tompkins-McCaw Library and offsite storage to pickup at either library location through scheduled, contact-free pickup, or delivered to their preferred address in Richmond or another location—home or campus office—at no charge.
1. Request Items
- Request items through VCU Libraries Search or by submitting a direct request through the interlibrary loan system, ILLiad
- Set your pickup or delivery preferences in ILLiad*
*Items cannot be shipped to residence halls
- Requests for items not held by VCU Libraries or unavailable for any reason will become interlibrary loan requests
- You may place up to 50 requests*
*Combined for VCU Libraries collections and interlibrary loan
2. Wait for notifications
- You will receive an email notification or text message for each requested item as it becomes available for pickup
- If you selected home delivery, the email notification will confirm shipping details
- If you selected library pickup, the notifications will contain a link and instructions for scheduling a pickup at your preferred library, Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
3. At your scheduled time, come to the library for pickup
- When you arrive, call the library staff with your name (at Cabell (804) 828-1111 or at Tompkins-McCaw at (804) 828-0636)
- Staff will bring items to a table located at the building entrances on both campuses
- At both libraries, a drive-up option will be available upon request.
- Enjoy your library materials!
Sources for online books
JSTOR is offering online access through August 31 to more than 35,000 books, in addition to the JSTOR Archive and Primary Source collections. VCU Libraries has opted into this expanded access through our existing JSTOR subscription. A list of participating publishers is updated as additional publishers join.
More ways to read online
Need help? Ask us
We’re online and ready to help you find the materials you need for your research. Ask Us.