Donations of books, manuscripts, archival materials and other items significantly contribute to the excellence of VCU Libraries. Many signature collections were established as gifts from generous alumni, faculty members and donors. A determination of whether a prospective gift enhances the value of our holdings for research, teaching and creative expression requires careful review. Staff members consider a variety of factors including, collection history, condition and existing collection strengths and priorities.
Some helpful, general sources of information about rare books, archives and manuscript collections can be found in the Society of American Archivists’ brochures "A Guide to Donating Your Personal or Family Papers to a Repository" and "A Guide to Donating Your Organizational Records to a Repository" and the Association of Collection Research Libraries’ “Your Old Books.”
Professional standards, VCU policy and IRS regulations prohibit staff from making monetary appraisals of gifts. Donors seeking valuations are encouraged to consult with an attorney or tax adviser prior to making donations. The IRS provides useful information, including the publication "Determining the Value of Donated Property." A formal appraisal is required if deductions are sought for any gift valued at $5,000 or more. Independent, qualified appraisers may be found by consulting these sources:
- Society of American Archivists
- Appraisers Association of America
- American Society of Appraisers
- Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America
For questions or to discuss potential gifts of materials, please contact:
- Yuki Hibben, Interim Head, Special Collections and Archives, James Branch Cabell Library, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 828-8837
- Jodi Koste, University Archivist and Head, Tompkins-McCaw Library, at email@example.com or (804) 828-9898
- Monetary gifts support collections, preservation, processing, digitization, programming and outreach initiatives. To discuss planned giving, endowments, bequests and other gift opportunities in support of Special Collections and Archives, please contact Kelly J. Gotschalk, Director of Development and Major Gifts, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 827-1163.
Please note: All checks should be made payable to "VCU Foundation" with the particular fund (ex. "Special Collections and Archives," "Friends of VCU Libraries," etc.) written on the memo line.