Item retrieval and delivery services
Do you need a library item copied, pulled off the shelf and held at the library or delivered to you? We can help.
What you can request
- Items that VCU Libraries owns
- Items that we get from other libraries through interlibrary loan
- Items in storage
We offer several delivery options. Request your items with ILLiad unless otherwise noted.
- Hold for pickup: Items will be retrieved from the Libraries' circulating and storage collections and held for pickup at the information desk.
- Electronic delivery: requested articles or book chapter copies are delivered electronically.
- Delivery between libraries:
- Delivery to your campus box: VCU faculty, staff and Health System employees can have materials mailed to a campus box address.
- Off-campus delivery: We can ship items to distance education students, users who live outside the Metro Richmond area (see definitions in Delivery policies) or local users with special needs.
Submitting your request
Follow these steps to request a book or an electronic copy of a printed article or chapter. Note document delivery policies may vary depending on the delivery option you choose, where you live and your affiliation with VCU.
- Create an account on ILLiad, our system that manages delivery requests.
- Set your delivery option: mail or pick up at a library.
- Under "New Request," choose a form based on the type of item you're requesting.
- Fill out as much information about the item as you can.
- Indicate "Yes" to the question, “Is this item available in VCU Libraries collection?”
- Submit your request.
How long will it take?
- Allow 1-2 business days for request processing.
- Allow an additional 1-3 days for items that need to be shipped.
How long can I keep my item?
You can keep the item as long as our borrowing guidelines allow.
Renew items borrowed from VCU Libraries' collections with My Library Account.
For help, Ask Us.