Affordable Course Content
The high cost of course materials is a concern for both students and parents, and it has also been shown to place many students at academic risk. "Affordable course content" describes any free or low-cost educational resources that can serve as alternatives to high-cost resources.
- Getting-started guide to affordable course content and open educational resources
- List of course-friendly digital content from VCU Libraries including ebooks and other digital texts
- Open textbook workshops about textbook costs and open textbooks as an affordable alternative
- Consult with your librarian to learn about affordable course content in your discipline
New in 2017: Affordable course content award program
VCU Libraries, the Office of the Provost, the Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence and the ALT Lab are partnering to incentivize faculty to adopt or create free or low cost alternatives to expensive textbooks.
The application period closes March 6, 2017. Project timelines may vary but must be completed by June 1, 2018, with implementation expected Fall 2018 at the latest. For more information, see award guidelines and eligibility.
Redesign your course to incorporate existing low-cost or free educational resources
- $500 per person, capped at $3,000 per course (but let us know if you have a very large department that needs special consideration)
Create a substantially new open textbook or open course content where it is possible to demonstrate that quality resources are not currently available to meet learning objectives.
- $2,000 per person with a project cap of $6,000 per course
We're offering optional informational workshops about the awards in February 2017:
- Feb. 3, noon at Academic Learning Commons Suite 4102
- Feb. 7, 12:30 p.m. at Academic Learning Commons Suite 4102
- Feb. 14, 12:30 p.m. at Academic Learning Commons Suite 4102
- Feb. 15, noon at Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences, Lecture Room 2-010
Partners and resources
These VCU partners have committed to work with awardees: