Open and affordable course content
The high cost of course materials is a concern for both students and parents. These costs place many students at academic risk. "Affordable course content" describes any free, low-cost or open educational resources that can serve as alternatives to high-cost course materials. Faculty interested in open or affordable course content can:
- Learn more using our guides on open educational resources and affordable course content.
- Consult with your librarian to learn about open and affordable course content in your discipline.
- Search VIVA’s Faculty Textbook Portal for additional ebooks for course use and preview ebooks available for purchase.
- Review this list of course-friendly digital content that includes ebooks and other digital texts.
- Place physical copies of course materials on reserve to ensure all your students have access.
2019 VIVA Course Redesign Grants
The second round of VIVA Course Redesign Grants is open for applications. These grants are designed to empower Virginia faculty with the resources and time they need to redesign courses by swapping out textbooks and other expensive course materials for open, no cost, or library options. Applications are due September 30, 2019.
2019 Affordable Course Content Awards
VCU Libraries, the Office of the Provost, the ALT Lab and Online@VCU, the Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence, Academic Technologies, and Barnes and Noble @ VCU are partnering for a third round of awards to support faculty adoption of zero-cost resources and creation of openly-licensed alternatives to expensive textbooks.
VIVA Faculty Textbook Portal
The VIVA Faculty Textbook Portal helps faculty find ebooks that can be used as course materials. . Faculty can select from over 200,000 titles that include open access books, currently available ebooks, and ebooks available for purchase on request.
- VCU faculty only access: Preview full-text and request the purchase of an ebook for your course.
- Non-faculty members can browse available textbooks via the public portal view.