Cabell Library Event and Exhibit Spaces
Cabell Library offers three rooms for use for events by units/groups outside VCU Libraries: the Cabell Library Lecture Hall (room 303), the Cabell Library Board Room (room 311) and the Cabell Library Multipurpose Room (room 250). Other spaces in the building may also be available for use as breakout rooms, etc., depending on the nature of the event and the time of year.
The lecture hall, board room, and multipurpose room are intended to be gathering spaces for the university academic community.
Priority use for the lecture hall is for marquee or high-profile scholarly events and other functions that have university-wide appeal. Types of events potentially appropriate for the room include lectures, forums, book talks and addresses by university leaders.
Priority use for the board room is for high-level special administrative functions. Types of events potentially appropriate for the room include meetings about interdepartmental collaborations, planning sessions for university-wide initiatives, candidate interviews for dean positions and faculty/staff mini-retreats.
Priority use for the multipurpose room is for small academic events. Types of events potentially appropriate for the room include small lectures and movie screenings, information or recruitment sessions and planning meetings for academic departments. When not in use for events, the room is open to students and other library patrons as a study space.
The lecture hall, board room and multipurpose room may not be booked for classes (except library instruction sessions), study sessions, ongoing recurring meetings, fundraisers, social functions such as weddings or loud events such as musical performances and dances.
- The rooms are generally booked on an academic year (July–June) basis. May 1 is the opening for submissions of requests for the following academic year.
- Annual/major university events, such as the president’s State of the University speech or university-wide Welcome Week activities, may be scheduled up to two years in advance.
- Events are not booked on a first-come, first-serve basis. Requests will be considered according to the following priorities: library-organized events, library partnerships or library-sponsored events, community or professional outreach events organized by university units/groups outside VCU Libraries, other events organized by university units/groups outside VCU Libraries.
- Student-organized events that are not library partnerships or library-sponsored events are generally referred to the VCU Student Commons.
Cabell Library offers one principal area on the first floor for use for exhibits by units/groups outside VCU Libraries. Other spaces in the building may also be available depending on the nature of the exhibit and the time of year.
- The space is generally booked on an academic year (July–June) basis. May 1 is the opening for submissions of requests for the following academic year.
- Student-organized exhibits that are not library partnerships or library-sponsored events are generally referred to the VCU Student Commons.
Full Details: Reservations, Space Specifications, Additional Costs, etc.
Please contact the library events office:
Events and programs coordinator
James Branch Cabell Library, Room 314-S
Office: (804) 828-0593
Work cell: (804) 393-2951
Events and communications assistant
James Branch Cabell Library, Room 314-U
Office: (804) 827-1910
Work cell: (804) 357-7655
If you are contacting the office about a new event space request or a future event possibility, please allow five business days for a response. If your need is urgent, you may also contact Sue Robinson, director of communications and public relations, at email@example.com. If you need assistance with public relations for your event, please contact Sue Robinson.