Instruction and Guides
The Workshop offers many ways to learn. It supports guided learning for groups or in classes, equipment demonstrations, one-on-one assistance and online resources, as well as a knowledgeable staff. To schedule a consultation or ask a question, contact (804) 827-3594 or email@example.com.
Orientations and Workshops
Orientation sessions are required to be able to reserve and use some equipment in the Makerspace and the studios. Orientations provide an introduction to the spaces and best practices for their use. Orientations are scheduled conveniently throughout the week and do not require advance registration. The orientation schedule
Wednesdays in the Workshop sessions are taught throughout the academic year. These non-credit, hands-on sessions focus on a piece of hardware, software or equipment or a set of tips and techniques in a particular discipline or medium. Workshops are free and open to the VCU community. Wednesdays in the Workshop calendar On the MCV Campus, Innovative Media produces similar workshops on Tech Tuesdays.
Production guides help users create projects from start to finish using resources from The Workshop.
- Audio and Podcasting Projects - Learn about developing and producing an audio project (podcasts, radio essays, etc). Faculty resources included.
- Video Production 101 - Learn how to plan, shoot and edit a video project. Faculty resources included.
- Using the 3D Printers - Find specifications for all of The Workshop’s 3D printers and instructions for use
- Using the Laser Cutter/Engraver - Review material settings and information on preparing your file to be etched or cut.
Equipment Start-up Guides
Equipment start-up guides provide step-by-step instructions for operating equipment and spaces in The Workshop. These guides are helpful when using the resources after attending an orientation.
- Makerbot Replicator 5th Gen 3D Printer
- Ultimaker 2+ 3D Printer
- Lulzbot TAZ5 3D Printer
- Epilog Zing Laser Cutter/Engraver (alternative gif guide)
- Singer Sewing Machine
- Brother Embroidery Machine
Software tutorials and online training
Instructional efforts and outreach to faculty and classes includes these:
- Tours of The Workshop in general or focusing on particular resources
- Class sessions about resources and practices taught in the course classroom or in The Workshop
- One-on-one or small group assistance related to particular projects
- Curriculum development
- Support for faculty in new knowledge creation and in creative expression
Every faculty need is a little different, so the best first step is to get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org.