In-house tools and spaces
These in-house resources are available to the VCU community and are extended to Friends of VCU Libraries secondary to VCU-related projects. Attend an orientation session to become an authorized user so that you can use or reserve the laser cutter/engraver, 3D printers or the video and audio studios. All experience levels are very welcome.
Make use of materials, tools, and emerging technologies for hands-on exploration and participatory learning. Attend an orientation on the 3D printers or laser cutter to become an authorized user, then reserve makerspace equipment in advance. Most makerspace resources are available when the Workshop is open.
- 5th Generation Makerbot Desktop Replicator 3D printer *
- Ultimaker 2+ 3D printer *
- LulzBot TAZ5 3D printer *
- FormLabs Form 2 3D printer **
- Epilog Zing 24 laser cutter/engraver *
- Inventables X-Carve 1000mm milling machine **
- Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist 600-Stitch computerized sewing machine
- Brother 1034D serger
- Brother Designio Series DZ820E embroidery machine
- Silhouette Cameo electronic vinyl/paper cutting machine
- Programmable electronics (Arduinos and Raspberry Pis)
* Authorized users only ** By appointment only
- Avid MBox Pro audio interface
- Genelec 8030B studio monitors with Genelec 7050 subwoofer
- Yamaha MOXF8 88-key keyboard
- Microphones: Electro-Voice RE20 (2), Audio Technica AT4033A (2), Rode NT4, Audio Technica AT4041 (2), Shure Beta 58A (2), Audio Technica Pro 63, Electro Voice RE50B (2)
- Avid Artist Control
- Ableton Launchpad
- Microphone stands and pop screens
- Software includes Avid Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Adobe Audition, Logic Pro, GarageBand, Reaper, Audacity, iZotope, Mixbus and more
Shoot and edit high quality videos in a high-end production studio, outfitted with two 4K cameras, a variety of backdrops, a lighting grid and sound board. Attend an orientation to become an authorized user and reserve the video studio in advance.
- Sony FS7 4k camcorder (2)
- Sachtler ENG 75/2 tripod and dolly
- Light grid controlled by Strand 200 lighting console
- Yamaha MGP16x 16-channel analog audio mixer
- Sennheiser MKE 600 shotgun microphones
- Sennheiser ME2 wireless omni lavalier microphones
- Green, black, white and gray backdrops
- C-stands and boom arms
- Software includes Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Avid Pro Tools, Reaper
Play a variety of games or view video with up to 6 people. Reserve the gaming room in advance. Check out gaming console accessories at desk.
- 47" high-definition LED 3D TV monitor (LG 47LM6200)
- LG Passive Cinema 3D glasses (8 Pack)
- Sony PlayStation 4
- Sony PlayStation 3
- Sony PlayStation 2
- Microsoft Xbox One
- Microsoft Xbox 360
- Nintendo Wii U
- Alienware Area 51 gaming PC
- Microsoft Hololens, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Samsung Gear available by advanced request for in-house use between 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- VHS VCR, LaserDisc player, Umatic 3/4" VCR and 16mm projector also available upon request
Located in the main room of The Workshop, these stations are checked out on a first come, first served basis, for 4 hours at a time. They include a wide array of specialized multimedia hardware and software.
Graphics (PC and Mac)
- Scan images, slides, negatives, transparencies or multiple documents with Epson 11"x17" flatbeds or large format images with the Contex 18"x24" flatbed
- Draw with a Wacom Cintiq 27QHD Touch
- Software includes Adobe Photoshop CC, Adobe InDesign CC, Adobe Illustrator CC, Adobe Acrobat Pro X and more
Video (PC and Mac)
- Capture from VHS, Hi-8, DV Tape, DVD, camcorder and other formats
- Export as analog or digital video, save as digital video files or burn to DVD or Blu-ray
- Zone-free, all-region and multi-format VHS/DVD players and analog to digital converters
- Software includes Adobe Premiere Pro CC, Adobe After Effects CC, Adobe Media Encoder CC, Nero Video 5, Apple Final Cut X and more
- Capture from phonograph, cassette, digital audiotape, scanner (for scores)
- Create with the M-Audio Key Rig 25 keyboard
- Save as digital audio files or burn to audio CD
- Stations are equipped with the Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS Card
- Software includes Avid Pro Tools, Adobe Audition CC, Sound Forge, Ableton Live, Reaper, Audacity, iZotope RX5 Editor, Ozone, Sibelius, PhotoScore Ultimate and more
3D Modeling (PC)
- Scan, create or edit 3D models or environments
- NextEngine Desktop 2020i 3D Laser Scanner
- Xbox One Kinect Sensor
- XYZprinting Handheld 3D Scanner (ask at desk)
- Software includes K-Scan 3D, Skanect, Blender, SketchUp, Sculptris, SolidWorks, AutoDesk: 3ds Max, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Inventor Pro, Maya, Meshmixer, Motion Builder, Mudbox, NetFabb, ReMake, Revit, SketchBook Pro, StingRay and more
Animation Stand (PC)
- Capture stop-motion and hand-drawn animated sequences with a Canon T6i mounted on a vertical rig
- Software includes Dragonframe, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Photoshop and more
GIS and Data Visualization (PC)
- For viewing, querying, analyzing and editing of spatial data, and to communicate information as visual objects.
- Software includes ArcGIS 10.3.1, Google Earth Pro, Tableau 9.3, ParaView, Microsoft SandDance, Gephi and SPSS
Web and App Development (PC)
- Create apps for the web, mobile devices, and virtual reality/augmented reality gear.
- Software includes Google Web Designer, Adobe Dreamweaver CC, Adobe Brackets CC, Pure Data Pdm, Processing 3, Oracle VM VirtualBox, Microsoft Visual Studio, Microsoft Hololens, Oculus, Unreal 4, Unity, Steam and more
- Boot from USB stick with a variety of Linux Distributions. Note: Not networked.
The Innovative Media department is located in The Workshop on the lower level of James Branch Cabell Library. Entry is via the lobby stairs or elevator.
Visit during open hours, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (804) 827-3594.