Equipment and Tools
The Innovative Media department, located in The Workshop on the lower level in Cabell Library, makes available for loan or use a range of cutting-edge technologies, softwares and other tools for learning, making, presenting or researching.
(PC and Mac) Scan images, slides, negatives, transparencies or multiple documents with Epson 11"x17" flatbeds or large format images with the Contex 18"x24" flatbed. Draw with a Wacom Cintiq 27QHD Touch. Software includes Adobe Photoshop CC, Adobe InDesign CC, Adobe Illustrator CC, Adobe Acrobat Pro X and more.
(PC Only) Capture from phonograph, cassette, digital audiotape, scanner (for scores), an M-Audio Key Rig 25 keyboard and other formats. Save as digital audio files or burn to audio CD. Stations are equipped with the Creative Labs Audigy2 ZS Card. Software includes Adobe Audition CC, Sound Forge 9.0, Ableton Live 9, Reaper, Audacity 2.1, iZotope RX5 Editor, Ozone 7, Sibelius 5, PhotoScore Ultimate and more.
Capture from VHS, Hi-8, DV Tape, DVD, camcorder and other formats. Export as analog or digital video, save as digital video files or burn to DVD or Blu-ray. These stations are equipped with Zone-free, All-region and Multi-format VHS/DVD players and analog to digital converters. Software includes Adobe Premiere Pro CC, Adobe After Effects CC, Adobe Media Encoder CC, Nero Video 5, Apple Final Cut X and more.
NextEngine Desktop 2020i 3D Laser Scanner and an Xbox One Kinect Sensor. Software includes AutoDesk Maya, 3ds Max, Unity, Sculptris, SketchUp, Steam, MeshMixer, Blender and more.
GIS and Data Visualization
(PC only) ArcGIS 10.3.1, Google Earth Pro, Tableau 9.3, SPSS
Boot to USB stick with a variety of Linux Distributions. Note: Not networked.
Microsoft Hololens, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Samsung Gear available by advanced request for in-house use between 9am-4pm, Monday-Friday. Software includes The Microsoft Hololens app, Steam, Unity and Unreal.
5th Generation Makerbot Desktop Replicator 3D Printer*, Ultimaker 2+ 3D Printer*, LulzBot TAZ5 3D Printer*, FormLabs Form 2 3D Printer**, Epilog Zing 24 Laser Engraver-Cutter*, Inventables X-Carve 1000mm Milling Machine**, Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist 600-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine, Brother 1034D Serger, Brother Designio Series DZ820E Embroidery Machine, Programmable Electronic and more.
* Authorized Users Only
** By Appointment Only firstname.lastname@example.org
Equipment for Loan
Equipment items are loaned on a first-come, first-served basis. Loans are for three days with one renewal allowed by logging into My Account on the VCU Libraries page.
Equipment availability can be confirmed by typing the name of your item in the search box on the VCU Libraries home page and choosing The Workshop under the Library facet on the left.
- Stereo Headphones to accompany stations
- GoPro Hero 3+ and Hero 4 camcorders
- Canon Rebel T3i and T6i DSLR Cameras
- Canon Vixia HF R62
- Sony HDR-CX440 HD camcorder
- Sony HDR-CX290 camcorders
- Sony DCR-SR220 camcorders
- Sony Bloggie camcorders
- JVC Everio GZ-HM30 camcorders
- USB Endoscopic camera (16' cord, LED light)
- Occipital Structure Sensor ST01 3D Scanner
- CamQuip fluid pan head tripods
- Portable green screen and Dracast Pro Light kit
- Projection Screens (70x70)
- Acer P1303W portable digital HD projector
- Epson 1945W portable digital HD projector
- Viewsonic PJD7820 portable digital HD projector
- InFocus IN118HDxc portable digital projector
- RIF6 CUBE 2" Pico DLP High-Res Mobile Projector
- Wacom Intuos PTH-451 and Intuos PTH-651 tablets
- Samson Go USB mics
- Zoom H1 and H4 digital audio recorders
- Tascam HD-P2 field recorder
- Garmin eTrex 20X GPS unit
- Orion 27191 StarBlast 6i Telescope
- DBPOWER 5MP 20-300X USB Digital Microscope
- Sony VBD-MA1 plug-n-play Blu-ray/DVD burner
- Sony BDP-SX910 portable Blu-ray/DVD player (PAL-NTSC, All-region, Multi-zone)
- 9 in 1 Media and SDHD card readers
- USB thumb drives (32GB and 64GB)
- External hard drives (100GB, 200GB and 2TB)
- Pioneer external BD/DVD/CD RW drive
- Firewire, HDMI, USB, Display cords & adapters
- VHS-C to VHS adapters
- Slide projector
- Sound Ideas effects library (over 250 CDs)
The Innovative Media department is located in The Workshop on the lower level of James Branch Cabell Library. Entry is via the lobby stairs or elevator.
Visit during open hours, email email@example.com or call (804) 827-3594.