[Construction Update] Fourth floor empties, noise continues
June 2, 2014
Patrons will notice continued noise, activity and movement in Cabell Library in coming days and weeks. Beginning the Week of June 2, expect many changes, including loud work on the usually silent fourth floor.
On the fourth floor, shelving will be dismanteled and moved beginning June 3. Furniture from study areas on the fourth floor will be moved to the third floor June 9-11. Power to fourth floor furniture will be disconnected June 3. The fourth floor will become a major construction zone as shelving is taken apart and new walls are constructed.
- Precast removal (jack hammering) will continue for weeks. This is loud and disruptive work.
- Library staff will be moving into their offices on the first and third floors. Expect noise and activity on all floors. (First floor activity will be heavy June 3; third floor activity will be most active on Saturday, June 7).
- Work continues related to ventilation/heating/air conditioning. Replacement of 3rd floor VAV (variable air volume) boxes in the public area will start on June 3. (This work will be done between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. when the library is closed.)
- Replacement of the air handling unit that serves the ground floor will be completed June 4. (This should improve temperatures on the ground floor; it's been muggy.)
- The existing cooling tower in the pit will be removed June 15. (The new cooling tower on the roof will start up on June 4.)
- The new emergency generator will be installed after the cooling tower is removed between June 15 and July 1.
- The old emergency generator and its shed will be removed within the same time frame.
- Work on the temporary loading dock on Linden Street is underway.
Free ear plugs are available at the Information Services desk.